• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Narrow Tires 33-35in

The narrow TSL 34x9.50 really comes off the bead a lot if you air down any. I have a friend that runs them on the stock steel 6" wide rims (argent) and he can't air down below 15 without having to worry about blowing the tire off the rim.

He got some Arrow beadlocks, but they were too wide for the tire and he had lots of problems blowing the back bead off the rim with those.

They will cut down through the smow to Terra Firma... but you have to keep them hard as a rock.

gotta back boom above

if your going to be doing most of your driving on the road you want a thinner tire. 1 year ago I got some Dayton Timberline AT's 33x12.5 and that day we had a good snow storm, first drive and I hated them already. Month ago I get some BFG AT 33x10.5, wake up this morning with another 1' of snow and I am even more impressed than the first few inches of snow we've been driving through.

Yes offroad thicker will provide the float, and you can air down giving that much more, but you will be very dissapointed if you expect a wide tire to perform onroad the way a 10.5" wide tire will.

Course you don't have to take our opinions for it, I can give you a few numbers of the people I had to tug out of snow drifts, and parkings lots at work today. Loved pulling guys with nice wide tires on their 2x4's out of our first big snow fall of the year.

WheelinJR said:
not surprising that he blew beads with stock rims.

Do stock wheels have a different safety bead design?

I have mostly only ran BFG MTs and I was always really happy with their performance, more so than GY MTRs anyway.

T&A-XJ said:
Do stock wheels have a different safety bead design?

I have mostly only ran BFG MTs and I was always really happy with their performance, more so than GY MTRs anyway.

I remember readin somewhere a while back that the bead design wasn't as deep as most aftermarket wheels. I couldnt say where or when I saw it.

A 16" wheel will open up better options. Less sidewall to flex and some combos that work well in the XJ wheelwell. 285/75/16 MTR has been good to me, on the road, rock and snow. 33x11.25x16 is how they measure out.
GYMTR.gif

I know two guys running 34x10.5R15 LTBs, and they both love them. Great cheap tire, but if you're DDing it, forget about it. Bias swampers last about 10-12k on the road.

I run Q78R15 TSLs, with are 35.5x10.7r15s and they rock, although I try to keep the street driving I do with them to a minimum.

I have Mickey Thompson MTZ's, they are like having Siped BFG/MT's :D

I find them to be WAY better than BFG/AT's when it comes to snow!

harwood39 said:
Anyone run the Super Swamper LTB's?? Either 33x13.5 or 34x10.5 are my choices

I have two friends that ran them. They worked great, but were a little on the small side for a 34" tire. They wore out in record time too.

Back