• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M/T or A/T.....Survey says ??

First off where in Oregon ? central valley is not very specific. I say this cause we 2 types of climates here, westside and eastside.
West of cascades moderate climate with the most rain, very little snow or ice if at all. Snow is wet slippery snow. We call it the (wetside). Coast range is wet wet wet and muddy. Summer has a good dry spell between July 4 and October usually.
Eastside is dry high desert mostly. Snow is dry and considerably colder through the winter. Packed snow and ice would be normal winters east. Hot as hell in summer, dry dusty off road. Far east has mountain ranges that get alot of snow.

MT if your gonna play in the coast range, Brown's camp and the like. AT probably everywhere else.

Come to think of it the hardcore wheelers around here can be found in the NORTHWEST CHAPTER section of the board. I would ask there too.

BFG A/T user for sometime now with the 33x10.5 flavor. No need to comment on the good on road behaviors but I will say that everyone I have ever wheeled with has been impressed by their off road capabilities. Around North Carolina and Virginia the same set I have had since 2012 have been in snow, mud, and a lot of rocks all at the same time. Never ride around in deep mud puddles or stuff.

My first trip around URE with the all terrains there was a finger sized gash in the sidewall. A little bit more and the sidewall probably would have split wide open but to this day it has never leaked. I would say that is their only drawback and I do pick my lines in rocky terrain wisely because of that. I have given them a tough workout riding around 8 psi on stock aluminum wheels but have never needed winch assistance because I couldn't get traction. Sometimes I wish I should have bought BFG M/Ts in the same size but driving to and from trails on the highway reminds me I made the right decision with A/Ts.

Thats Potts Mountain in the snow. BFG A/Ts ran through there with no problems.
standalone

As sated right above, go to a 16 or 17. If you go 16" I believe 285/75R16 gets you in the ballpark of 33x10.5R15. And 17 I think either 285/70R17 or 275? I would use a tirecalc online to figure out an idea of what you want, and then check availability/price of tires you want.

Back