• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

name this axle

I think I see what your talking about Terry ( up towards the top of the diff cover), ill check it out closer tommorow when I go back. I wonder why this housing looks different than the other 44's?? I doubt someone put this rear end in this one from something else, its a stock hooptie. The axles spin nice and it doesnt bind or make any noises.

low900rr said:
theres a few 44's on ebay right now and on the left side of the pig it has 3 fins as part of the casting. The one I found has one big one right on the center, Too hard without pic I guess.

Some 44s have the three fins and others only have one.

would there be any casting marks on it to identify it as a dana44? Ive looked at atleast 10 different axles in pics online and each and every one have the 3 fins on the left side. thanks for the input all you guys have given.

A straight on pic of the cover will tell the story for sure...

low900rr said:
would there be any casting marks on it to identify it as a dana44? Ive looked at atleast 10 different axles in pics online and each and every one have the 3 fins on the left side. thanks for the input all you guys have given.

Have you done a SEARCH?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54665

a picture is worth a thousand words, thanks for the link and yes I did some searching, looks like Ill be going back in the morning to pull it.

low900rr said:
Found this at a junk yard but Im not sure what it is. I know its not a dana35 or the 8.25 but it also doesnt look like the dana 44's Ive seen from the cherokees. This cherokee says it was built 10/86 so thats considered 87?? What other rear ends came in the older Cherokee's?? I gotta try and get pics up.

That doesn't look like my D44 that is sitting in my pickup, which came out of a 1987 2wd XJ. The driver side doesn't have the three horizontal ribs! Like someone said D44's could have vary, I don't know.

tompatjr said:
Have you ever seen a D44 in a XJ or MJ (one fin version)? Not saying your wrong, I am just curious!
Yes, I have. Check the link that I posted above.

As for the "pimple" someone mentioned. Mine has the same "pimple" on the cover, it's now daylight and I can see it much better. I didn't check that last night.

D44 in an 87...

757220_22_full.jpg

Goatman said:
Can't tell anything with no pics...... :)

Like I just posted in another thread, I've never seen an '87 that didn't have a D44.......not 100% conclusive, but that's my experience. That build date is an '87.

I've had three 87's with non c-clip dana 35's.

well I picked it up today for $75, good deal or no?? Looks good now too with alittle help from a wire wheel. I think its a 3.07 ratio, what axles are in it?

low900rr said:
well I picked it up today for $75, good deal or no?? Looks good now too with alittle help from a wire wheel. I think its a 3.07 ratio, what axles are in it?

so it its a D44 right??

if so........ 30 spline D44 shafts

yea its a good deal
get new drums and shoes from Auto zone should be 10" x 2.5"

then go to Napa ang get the brake hardware kit both sides(full kit) ...autozone doesnt carry em

you should come in somewhere around $200 total for brakes and axle
then of course ya gotta regear it ..:( 200-500 depending if you know someone to install gears in it
id help ya but it might be a little to far for yoiu to drive:)

my advise is have it regeared to at least 4:56 then do the front when you get the cash and drop it in

I found mine with 3:55 gears and decent brakes ...just lucky

or and this is reaching

ebay the whole thing

my old 87 came with a 44 and I bought another complete running 87 to get the 44 in my 98. I then sold the 87 for 3500 profit. Get a head on shot of the cover and we will tell you if its a 44. However you should know by now------------Kyle

P.S. I once saw a 44 in a 2wd cherokee and asked the man what year model it was. It was an 87. So far that means I have seen 44s in only the 87 year model. Weird eh??

Back