• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My trip to Moab

Colin W.

NAXJA Forum User
I got back from my trip to Moab Wednesday, and what a trip it was. I am sad to report that it was a mountain biking specific trip, and due to high gas prices and me being a poor college student, the Cherokee had to sit this one out.

We left here, (Rockford, IL), Thursday the 14th, and just over 20 hours later we arrived in Moab to check into our Super 8. We couldn't check in until 3:30, and due to a miscalculation on the time it took to get there, we arrived at about 5:30 in the morning. So we killed time at Arches National Park, which was only a glimpse into the scenery to come.

Since fatigue and testosterone don't make a good combination, we decided to do the Slick Rock Bike Trail practice loop that first day after we checked in. 105 degrees, no shade, and no sleep for 32 hours makes 2.5 miles stretch out forever. I went through all 3 liters of water I brought with me that first trip. But we learned our lesson.

The next day we did Klondike Bluffs Trail, and that went amazingly better. Up at 5 A.M., on the trail at 6. That would become the routine for the rest of the rides. Klondike Bluffs was fun, not amazingly technical, but there were a few challenging spots, and a good technique was needed for the few cracks we ran across.

Sunday we ran Amasa Back, which might be better known to most people here as Cliffhanger. Now we got to the technical stuff, and it was definitely fun. We walked a few of the hills that stalled us out, but we made it up a lot more stuff than I thought we would, so I was pleasantly surprised. The descent back down was probably the most fun part of the trip. While it did take a toll on our hands and arms with all of us riding hardtails, all the rock ledges and drop-offs made it worth while.

Monday we decided to go on the actual Slick Rock Trail, and that went about 10000% better than the practice loop that first day. By my odometer it was 9.7 miles, and by far the most grueling 9.7 miles I've ever biked. Steep climbs and even steeper descents made for an all-around good time.

Tuesday we had to check out, so we ran an easier trail. We didn't know just how easy it would be with the shuttle taking us to the top and only doing it one way. Gemini Bridges itself was awesome, but the bike trail was nothing to worry about. We averaged 15.7 miles an hour for the first 7 miles, which is something I've never done before.

And that was it for this trip. We took about 4.5 liters of water per person on the trail after that first day, as well as energy bars. Every run we were off the trail by 10 A.M., so I feel that we made some pretty good choices safety-wise. It was definitely the most fun I've ever had mountain biking, (except that time I convinced my lady-friend to go with me, but that wasn't so much the mountain biking that made it fun), amd I am looking forward to going back over my Spring Break this year. Hopefully this time I'll have the Jeep with me and will be able to run a few trails.

Pictures are hosted on my storage account through UIUC, so you have to view each one individually. I'll be the one either in the yellow jersey, or the blue Kona Jersey.
The address is, https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/cmwilso1/shared

Most of the pictures are scenery shots, we tried getting action shots a few times, but it seemed way to cheesy to say, "Ok, I'm going to go up there, and after you get to here, I'm going to take a picture", and it just made us feel like posers.

If you made it this far, thanks for the read. And if you have any suggestions on any other good bike trails in the Moab area, or even are in the Rockford area and want to run some trails around here, let me know.

You didn't do the best trail in Moab - Porcupine Rim. Make sure to do this trail next time you're out there. I take my bike to Moab for the Fall Fling, so I can bike some and Jeep some.

BTW, how did you like the Stupor 8? And their "no bikes in the rooms" policy. They claimed that the bike rack out by the pool is safe. So we put three $3K bikes out there and secured them with a cable lock. Came back to find that the lock had been messed with. Someone tried to pick it and screwed up the lock cylinder. Complained to the front desk...but they didn't care.

This October, we're staying at the Big Horn Lodge, which is bike-friendly.

Brad (kyd4lyf)- make sure you bring your bike this year!

Here's a pic from the Portal Trail, which is off Poison Spider.

portal.jpg

Last edited:
When we found out the no bikes in the room policy, we were a little angry. But the carrier we were using has a pretty stout locking system, and I brought a cable lock to lock my wheels to the frame, so after the first night I didn't really worry about it. I did laugh when we went to go swimming and saw their "secure bike storage." Between not allowing the bikes in the rooms, dirty rooms, and our trash never ever being emptied, I won't be staying there again.

We were going to ride Porcupine Rim, but the singletrack at the end sounded a little hairy. Seeing as on Slick Rock one of us almost took a long tumble down on a few occasions, (his pedals are some huge platforms, they would rub on the rock in the tight or off camber spots), we decided for our first real mountain biking trip to play it safe. When we found out Porcupine wasn't much harder than Amasa Back, we felt like we missed out. Then again, there's always next time.

Who told you that? The Porcupine Rim singletrack is fantastic. There are a few drop-offs, but they can be rolled down. It's not very hairy at all. It's just absolute fun. You find yourself laughing all the way down. Wish I had some pics...but it's so much fun, you don't want to stop to take pictures.

Now, the Portal Trail is a different story. Another pic.

portal2.jpg

Sounds like just the place to break in my new Rocky Mountain Slayer.....

Need to get lockers for the Jeep before I go though.

Back