• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Successful APN header install

You mean you have extra sensors that don't have anywhere to plug into the wiring harness? Or extra sensors with no spot to install them on the manifold/TB?

If it's the former, just leave em installed but disconnected I guess :dunno: you probably have a MAP sensor (side of TB), TPS (back of TB), IAC (back of TB), MAT (screwed into the manifold somewhere) and maybe a CTS near the back of the head, but I think the only CTS on a 98 is in the thermostat housing.

yeah sorry just went out to look and i think it was mostly me reaching the end of a work day last night found them for the TB now i just got one that hangs near the FI Rail. it is in a set of three but in the pictures here it doesnt ever seem to exist.

Aha!

set of three as in 3 pins? I bet it's the CPS connector. Your CPS cable probably fell down behind the manifold while you were wrestling with it.

I completely forgot the CPS was on that same section of the harness :doh:

no although that is exactly what happened to one of the ones a couldn't find last night. its a 2 pin and its in a set of three wires near the front of motor.

hmmm... sounds like the coolant temp sensor maybe, or one of the injectors.

Front end of the engine harness, near as I recall - 3 injector leads (branch out from that stiff plastic housing), O2 sensor (long cable with 4 pin connector, wraps around the end of the manifold and down under the exhaust header), CTS (2 pin, on side of thermostat housing at very front of engine.)

yeah i got the long one with 4, for the O2, then i got the two pin, for the CTS, there is a third two pin that is a bit longer than the CTS wire.

engine runs without it but i don't want to mess anything up...feel like it should go somewhere.

FYI: it is a 2.5 not the 4.0

Last edited:
That explains it!

I know almost nothing about the 2.5. Just checked my FSM and the 97-up (and maybe earlier) 2.5L has a two pin connector for the power steering pump pressure sensor. Check to see if that connector will plug in anywhere on the outboard side of the power steering pump, should be just below and behind the return hose.

One more thing to commit to memory...

i think it has somethig to do with the power steering pressure sensor but i still cant find a spot to plug it in. i thought it was suppose to be on the line coming off the pump.

This is a 4-banger he's got - I looked through my FSM again and can't find the darn pic anymore. Wish I could, I'd scan it for you.

bottom right hand corner of picture is P.S. pressure switch. It'll run fine with it disconnected, but the RPM will drop when steering if it's not connected.

fixed.jpg

Hey can anyone make a case for this header vs. the APN header?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0359061446&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It appears to be the same header but steel and painted black...

I'm thinking of going with the APN since it is cheaper and SS. BTW I have bad motor mounts, my midpipe hanger just fell off, and now I have a bad header leak (likely a crack). Make sure you keep your mounts intact or you'll end up with a bad header!

I noticed that I commented on your write-up back in February and said this upgrade is in my future plans. Well, 5 months later and I just ordered an APN header. Can you give an update on your header now that you have been running this for the past six months?

I noticed that I commented on your write-up back in February and said this upgrade is in my future plans. Well, 5 months later and I just ordered an APN header. Can you give an update on your header now that you have been running this for the past six months?

Make sure you're motor mounts and tranny mount are in good shape. I put mine on back late December/early Janurary and after 5-6 months it is now cracked. All my mounts appear to be fine...but that's not to say the motor mounts are torn up inside where I can't see them.

Brown dog , or M.O.R.E. is good insurance.
I have the M.O.R.E. mounts and would recommend them everybody,
I have seen them hold an engine and tranny with no x-member in place, (I don't recommend this)

Back