• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Rear Winch Bumper build. 56K beware.

:doh: looks like i get to be the one who gives you crap about it....

whats up with the mounts?!?! aside from not tieing into all the nutstip bolts, whats up with having just a single vertical piece of plate of each? any sorta side pull and those are just gunna wanna fold and bend. also, yeah the d-ring tab mounts thru the bumper and all, but the that single piece of plate is just butted up again the rear mount and welded :dunno: i dont really see the need for a rear winch, but its a cool looking bumper and approach, i jsut feel that the mounts are heavily lacking.

Fair enough and good catch. What I planned on doing is plate between the winch plate, and the vertical mount plates. Kinda like this, looking at it from the back

| |
\_________/

The angled pieces would tie everything in against a side pull. However, I ran out of 1/4 plate. They are very easy to add, and can be done without removing the bumper. I am doing another bumper this weekend for a friend, and will get extra plate when I get the steel for that. I will post up what I mean when its finished.

Not tying into any more of the nutstrip, it just doesnt need it in my opinion. I tied into three of them on each side with 7/16 grade 8 bolts. That, along with the other 4 bolts on each side, is good enough for me. And like I mentioned in the original post, if it doesnt work out I will re-group. I am pretty sure 14 bolts is enough.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

with all the great work you did on that bumper, i would think you could have made the tube that wrapped around look, well... better. maybe not even tube. haha. but very nice build sir, i love your jeep.

In what way? They follow the body lines as closely as possible. The only thing I am not happy with is the built up section of plate under the tail lights. If thats what you are talking about, then I agree... I couldnt figure out any other way of doing it, and was starting to get impatient. It looks like crap with the gap between the lights and the bumper, so it needed something. Like I mentioned in the original thread, I plan on attaching my exo to that tubing eventually, which is why its on there. with that being said, how would you have done it differently?

Thanks! ~ Stump

Looks good, and doesnt stick out too far as I was thinking it would. You could have tucked in a little bit more by cutting a bit out of between the 'framerails' and moving it closer to the fuel tank. But as it is isnt too bad. Im very very anxious to see what you do with the front. Ive yet to see a standup warn in the front of a XJ that doesnt stick out a mile.

Wow! that was quick Stump! I think it looks really good, but I have to agree that the winch plate itself needs to be tied into the tube with some vertical gussets. Its cool if you ran out of plate, just be sure to do that before you try it out!

I think the tubes ended up really good. Who bent those up for you man? haha. Don't you have shackle boxes for the rear? If so, you can tie those tubes into the boxes to give them sideways strength.

You never cease to impress me. Too bad you live in Atlanta. There are times when I could use a hand in the shop, and a good experienced Fabricator would be nice. Dan is a good helper, but sometimes he just doesn't cut it. Love him to death, but hes not very reliable and doesn't have the fabricators "think outside the box" mind set. Its a hard set of skills to master, and sometimes I need somebody that I don't have to walk through every step. Its nice when you can say "this needs to be done and end up like this, have at it" and not have to worry about it being done right.

Anyway, sorry to butcher your thread, I just really like what you do!

Damn Stump, Now Megan has to run 2 winches! :D

You could have tucked in a little bit more by cutting a bit out of between the 'framerails' and moving it closer to the fuel tank.

I was thinking I was going to trim more and have it butt up against the fuel tank, but the straps that hold the tank go through the rear panel and would have needed to be cut out to get the body of the winch in any tighter. It just made sense to leave it be and have it stick out a little further. Thanks!

Wow! that was quick Stump! I think it looks really good, but I have to agree that the winch plate itself needs to be tied into the tube with some vertical gussets. Its cool if you ran out of plate, just be sure to do that before you try it out!

I think the tubes ended up really good. Who bent those up for you man? haha. Don't you have shackle boxes for the rear? If so, you can tie those tubes into the boxes to give them sideways strength.

You never cease to impress me. Too bad you live in Atlanta. There are times when I could use a hand in the shop, and a good experienced Fabricator would be nice. Dan is a good helper, but sometimes he just doesn't cut it. Love him to death, but hes not very reliable and doesn't have the fabricators "think outside the box" mind set. Its a hard set of skills to master, and sometimes I need somebody that I don't have to walk through every step. Its nice when you can say "this needs to be done and end up like this, have at it" and not have to worry about it being done right.

Anyway, sorry to butcher your thread, I just really like what you do!

Yeah man, the tubing worked just like I wanted it to, thanks again for bending them up for me. I will definitely be welding the plates from the winch plate to the vertical, just got to get some more. I am heading to the steel place today, as well as getting a re-fill on my Argon. I am surprised at how quickly that big tank went empty, although with the trailer build, and a few other projects, I guess I used a lot of gas.

Thanks for the compliments, It means a lot coming from someone who does it everyday and knows what it takes to do it.

Damn Stump, Now Megan has to run 2 winches! :D

Hey Flex! Naw... she wont be pulling winch line anytime soon now... we are expecting our first child on March 19th!

Thanks guys, ~ Stump

Looks good James. I think i would like some more strength in the mounts if it were my build as well.. but i do very much like what you'v done.

Congrats on the upcoming addition to family!

Hey Flex! Naw... she wont be pulling winch line anytime soon now... we are expecting our first child on March 19th!

Really? Congrats Dude, I did not know about that! :cheers:

Congrats! And very well done like all the stuff you build.

Stump, you mentioned building your Jeep for an expedition. Do you have any plans for an expedition?

Stump, you mentioned building your Jeep for an expedition. Do you have any plans for an expedition?

Not 'plans' at this point really, although I really would like to make a trip to Alaska and or the Artic circle. I have been on a quite a few trips with it, not expeditions per-say. Lets see, I have been all over Germany, down to Switzerland, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Sweden, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Holland, and plenty of other European places that I cant remember. To be honest, I am looking forward to travelling around my own continent for a while.

Thanks!

Looks great! Well done!

Congrats! And very well done like all the stuff you build.

Thanks guys!

it looks good, another good thing is if somebody following you on the trail and get stuck you don't have to turn around to give them a pull LOL :D

Lets see, I have been all over Germany, down to Switzerland, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Sweden, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Holland, and plenty of other European places that I cant remember.

JEALOUS!!!!! I think I need to find me a Civil engineer Sugar momma! :D

it looks good, another good thing is if somebody following you on the trail and get stuck you don't have to turn around to give them a pull LOL :D

Exactly what I had to do 3 times today! on some nasty climbs I had to turn around and winch up my buddy driving a carbed yota. Kept stalling on the steep stuff. Wish I had this setup on my jeep.

VERY NICE BUILD! The tubing does look like it just hanging out there by itself, but like said, Im sure your going to tie it into the cage nicely.

You never cease to impress me. Too bad you live in Atlanta... I just really like what you do!

That's just what I was thinking! I'm continually impressed with what I see....and I've toyed with the idea of relocating to Hotlanta :eyes:.......hmmmm
And Congrats on the Good News....New Addition! party1:
Do we get to throw you a Dude shower? Little boy or girl...I'm sure there are plenty O Jeep toys you don't have yet...........:wave1:

I like it a lot, good design, and good execution of the fabrication...

DSCN1857.jpg

Did you cut and fold in the middle of the process?

Back