• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My project

Hickboii

NAXJA Forum User
so i just joined your forum today. i bought a 87 xj 4cyl 5spd about a month ago and am getting ready to start building (it when i get home). it's bone stock right now.
going for the 5" OME lift
unibody stiffners from TNT customs
as well as rock sliders and some belly armor
thinking about using super swamper LTB's 33"
going to custom make front and rear bumpers
and a snorkel

this will be my first jeep so any thoughts or coments would be appreciated. oh and if anyone wants to buy my 73 chevy so i don't have to spend all my deployment money that would be great LOL

i'm gonna stick with the 4cyl for now i figure i can always gear it if it doesn't have enough umph. but we'll see. i've done enough engine swaps on my chevy i really don't want to have to do it on the jeep.(for a while anyway)

First Jeep? Why start with that big of lift and tires? Why not start with 3.5 and 31s and learn how the rig drives? I'm just sayin...

with 33's you'll want to regear it won't have enough

a 4.0 sucks with 33's and stock gears.

i guess i'm trying to do it one time. i don't want to have to deal with putting one lift on and then deciding i want it bigger and having to do it over again as well as having to get another set of tires and so on. and it will still be pretty small compared to what i'm used to wheeling in my chevy has 12" and 38.5 boggers

oh and if anyone wants to buy my 73 chevy so i don't have to spend all my deployment money that would be great LOL

So about that chevy, lettle more info would be great.
How much$$$?
What motor?
How many miles on the motor?
What shape is the body in?
Ect, ect, ect, ect.

I just got a 73 from the father in law and going to be restoring it. It has a little rust but nothing to bad. Would like to be able to replace the bed and hood on it.

CJ

so i just joined your forum today. i bought a 87 xj 4cyl 5spd about a month ago and am getting ready to start building (it when i get home). it's bone stock right now.
going for the 5" OME lift
unibody stiffners from TNT customs
as well as rock sliders and some belly armor
thinking about using super swamper LTB's 33"
going to custom make front and rear bumpers
and a snorkel

this will be my first jeep so any thoughts or coments would be appreciated. oh and if anyone wants to buy my 73 chevy so i don't have to spend all my deployment money that would be great LOL
With this you probably have 4:10 gears ,with 31 or 32 in tires you might do ok but don`t count on using 5th gear much , the more stuff you add the heavier it gets the more power it takes. Welcome and have fun with your project. Maybe you should keep your 73 to use as a tow rig to get the xj to the offroad places..

With this you probably have 4:10 gears ,with 31 or 32 in tires you might do ok but don`t count on using 5th gear much , the more stuff you add the heavier it gets the more power it takes. Welcome and have fun with your project. Maybe you should keep your 73 to use as a tow rig to get the xj to the offroad places..

^this! the xj's dont have much as far as trailer capasity. i wish i had a tow rig...

i guess i'm trying to do it one time. i don't want to have to deal with putting one lift on and then deciding i want it bigger and having to do it over again as well as having to get another set of tires and so on. and it will still be pretty small compared to what i'm used to wheeling in my chevy has 12" and 38.5 boggers

There is never a "one time" if you love the sport, it is a constant progression.

...and a full throttle assault in a muddy field with Chevy with a 12" lift and 38s isn't wheeling. :farmer:

Pics of the Chevy?

Sniggs has a good recommendation with the 3". BUT I do wish I had gone 4.5 RE lift.

When you get home?

ok i can't put up pics of the chevy for another couple months till i get home. i'm currently deployed until sometime in august.
the Chevy
it's a 73 3/4 ton 4x4
9" spring and 3" body lift
38.5x16x15 boggers about 90%
91 SBC 350 carberated has around 70k on it
edlebrock 750cfm
8" tall K&N filter with foam K&N prefilter
edlebrock performer RPM intake manifold
duel 3" flowmasters
shackle flip from Off Road Design
extended shackles from ORD
steering box kit from ORD
new wire harness from painless
new cab line-x inside and out
newer front clip
bushwacker cut out fender flares
new front end like tie rod ends ball joints pitman arm
new brakes front and rear
new master cylinder
new brake booster
corperate 14bolt in the rear open
dana 44 up front welded
winch bumper
warn 9500hs winch
kc lights
also i have a dana 60 that goes with it for the front
asking $4000

i wouldn't use it for towing it's not made for that anymore. i would however use my 01 ford excursion 7.3l if im not taking my toy hauler with me. i really just plan on driving the jeep though. so a re gear is probably going to be on my list. with some 4.56s and maybe a locker or posi.

...and a full throttle assault in a muddy field with Chevy with a 12" lift and 38s isn't wheeling. :farmer:

listen i'm not here to pick a fight but i would put that chevy up against any of your XJ's in a hartbeat it's been through elbe, tahuya, nisqually and many other places that are "jeep" only. i've followed many jeeps around as i have many friends that own them and i say follow because no one will let me go in front beacuse then they can't make it through after me and i end up towing them all day.

but times have changed. the regular cab on my truck isn't enough for the wife the kids and me to go out safely. plus my chevy does a lot of damage to the trails. and i have been hearing of width resrictions that will make it imposible to wheel my chevy legally. i don't want to ruin things for everyone else.

Trust me just about all of us here thank you for your service.
With that said I don't know if I would want to part with a chevy that has as much done to it as the one you have. I was more hoping for something that I would be able to use the tailgate, bed and hood off of lol I don't think I would be able to bring myself to us that one for parts I would end up using the one I got now for the parts rig lol. I got my 73 from the father in law for free and plan to fix it up. Don't get me wrong it is in great shape and runs like a champ, just got a little rust in some spots and the dam tailgate is a GMC one lol.

CJ

thankyou again. i don't really want to part with it but i have no use for it really. i have enough toys and vehicles. i need to clear the space in the driveway and the garage. if you need factory part for you chevy you should check out www.lmctruck.com they cary factory original parts and the prices arn't bad. they have patch panels for between $15-$40 bucks full tailgates fenders are about $75 and i think hoods are around $150 pretty much every part except the frame for Chevy GMC Ford and Dodge. i also have the patch panels for the bed already they cover the wheel arches and forward and back about a foot. i'd sell em to ya if you want $40 for both.

Back