• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Offroad trailer build.

Wow! James you build cool stuff!:greensmok

Enjoyed the build pics as well as seeing it in person at the Crawl.

Awesome job James!

Looks really good. The one thing that makes me wonder is about the weight distribution. It looks like with alot of stuff mounted forward of the axle its going to have quite a bit of tongue weight. Did you offset it somewhere?

Its actually a little light on the tongue.

The tailgate weighs a friggin ton (double sided), and the two jerry cans of fuel are always full incase the zombie/apocalypse should break out here in ATL, all I have to do is hook up and head for the hills. I usually have to position even more stuff up front in the basket area to get enough tongue weight. It sits ready to ride with 75lbs of tongue weight. Depending on how/what I load it, I adjust accordingly. Anything less than 50 pounds of tongue weight and it can get squirrelly at speed. The more the better for highway pulling, of course too much is too much.

The tent only weighs 90 pounds total, and the propane tank is about 20lbs. Honestly I think it will be perfect once I get the spare tire on there, then I wont have to add weight to the front as much. With the trailer completely empty, no tent/battery/fuel/water etc etc it only has about 30 pounds of tongue weight, which worried me a little.

The water tank (16 gallons) is right in front of the axle, so it doesnt have much effect on balance, the battery up front is about the only real weight I have.

I have about 3000 miles on it so far, and it pulls like a dream on just about every terrain you could imagine. The airbags are nice for adjusting for different loads. Definitely one of my favorite projects!

Thanks, Stump

wow thats pretty good balance. I was thinking it would be super heavy on the front because of how far back the axle is. Really nice trailer man.

I'll have to build one of these too, Zombie/apocalypse is always something to keep in mind. lol

what tent is that? where did you get it? i thought i read this whole build but i didnt see anything on the tent?
thanks

I got the tent, changing room (not pictured) and the awning from a distributor when I lived in Germany. There are plenty of places that sell the same and similar tents in the US. www.campinglab.com sells tents identical to this one, and there are other places as well. There are many different retailers of this exact tent, but they are all made in the same factory. Ive had it almost 3 years now, and its a NICE addition to any camping trip.

Nice build and writeup, James!

Thanks!!

Thanks! Got a chance to use it again last weekend for a few days, and I am currently packing it up right now. I am leaving at 4am to go to the South Carolina coast (johns Island) for a 5 day camping/boat racing trip.

A few pics from N. Georgia mountains last weekend.

DSCN1995.jpg

DSCN1990.jpg

DSCN1989.jpg

This thing is badass in person. I'd be willing to give you $11 US for it Stump.

Back