• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My New Front Winch Bumper EDIT: Now with pics

3e1c.jpg

Well to be honest I do hope that it sags a little. I have the rustys 3 in lift with the heavy duty springs up front and even with the winch, the front is still higher than the back.

Yeah I would not be suprised if the winch weighed around that but I know that the bumper felt lighter than the winch did, to me any ways.

I will say one thing thou, it rides almost like a cadillac with it up front.

You need to get rid of the rusted parts, and paint it up right. Get a proper cover for the solenoid pack, a new fairlead that isnt trashed.. a winch isn't the place to use crappy parts.. people get hurt or worse that way.

cal said:
You need to get rid of the rusted parts, and paint it up right. Get a proper cover for the solenoid pack, a new fairlead that isnt trashed.. a winch isn't the place to use crappy parts.. people get hurt or worse that way.

Thanks for the advice when I get back in school (tommorrow) I am going to change the winch mount bolts to grade 8 zinc coated. There is grade five on there now. As you can see I have a brand new cable, so I feel okay about it. The bar is now painted. The fairlead is not really in that bad of shape, I will stick in the two side rollers and it has been painted. Do you think this will be okay?? I mean it is a little old but it still operates smooth and all. It was just a little rusty. I have the cover for the solenoid pack, I just had it off to wire it up in the pic.

I liked it better when it was just red x's,now my eyes are hurting!

Oh, okay I asked for opinions so I don't have the right to say anything but what exactly is wrong with it? I know the hoop needs reinforcement but what else? I have seen other peoples projects on here that did not get this much flak and Mine looks a lot better to me, BUT I guess that is just me. Well I tried it out today and no tweaking, warping, or anything so I am happy with it. For one of my first decent projects I think it looks pretty good. Since I am only 17 I think it looks pretty good. I mean Jesse James did not build it but hey, who cares? It is very functional. I guess I could have built it all out of plate with all kinds of angles to better match it to my truck but my tool resources are kinda limited to what I have. That would have been a lot of grinding since I could not have done it with my porta-band.

I wasn't gonna comment ........at first.

And yes it's going to look good to you it's your Jeep. That happens, deal with it.

I'm not sure what you have for tools but you can do very good and quality work with minimal tools. You just need a lot more patience. And a lot more detailed planning.
I build a 4 link longarm suspension using only a sawzall, chop saw, hand drill, mig welder and a grinder.
By planning on what your going to build using cardboard templates, you can buy the metal in the correct width and thickness to avoid alot of unnecessary cutting.

When you started the bumper how much thought was put into it? did you look at other bumpers? was your main concern mounting the winch or using whatever you could find? Does you approach angle mean anything to the type of wheeling you do? How is it braced into the unibody? where you trying to make a boat anchor or a bumper?

None of these questions should cause you alot of thought, if you planned it out.

Like i said, not having the tools is no excuse, just take your time.

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
I wasn't gonna comment ........at first.

And yes it's going to look good to you it's your Jeep. That happens, deal with it.

I'm not sure what you have for tools but you can do very good and quality work with minimal tools. You just need a lot more patience. And a lot more detailed planning.
I build a 4 link longarm suspension using only a sawzall, chop saw, hand drill, mig welder and a grinder.
By planning on what your going to build using cardboard templates, you can buy the metal in the correct width and thickness to avoid alot of unnecessary cutting.

When you started the bumper how much thought was put into it? did you look at other bumpers? was your main concern mounting the winch or using whatever you could find? Does you approach angle mean anything to the type of wheeling you do? How is it braced into the unibody? where you trying to make a boat anchor or a bumper?

None of these questions should cause you alot of thought, if you planned it out.

Like i said, not having the tools is no excuse, just take your time.

Dingo

Well the approach angle really does not concern me in the type of offroading that I do. I thought I did a pretty decent job of tying it into the unibody but maybe I am wrong? It goes all the way to the sway bar mount and the steering box bolts, is there anyother way that I could have done it?

Sure it may be a boat anchor but it is mine I reckon. For the type of winch that I had on hand this design seemed to fit the bill the best, since it needs a front face plate to mount. I knew that I would have to run my front beam at least to each frame rail or it would seem my strength would not be there. I mean the outer ends are only 1/8 in and weigh pratically nothing. I am sure that I could have done something different with them but I don't know what I would have done differently about the center. Sure I had looked at other bumpers, but how many bumpers do you know of that would hold an 8274 that fits a cherokee? I am sure there are a couple but I haven't seen very many.

Hey dingo I appreciate you advice and I kinda sounded like a jerk a little above but I was not tryin. But if you get a chance could you measure from your grill in the center to the outermost portion of you bumper ( not including fairlead).

Back