• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My MJ buildup.....questions

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I didn't think this was gonna happen till next summer, but I may be losing the XJ as soon as tomorrow, so I need to get cranking on this. I will have about 8k to spend on the whole project, and I have admittedly VERY ambitious goals. Here's the ideal setup:

late 80's MJ w/ 4.0/Aw4/??(maybe a used Atlas if building a 231 becomes unreasonable in the $$ dept)

Full-width HP Ft 44/60 rear(Gear suggestoins??)

RE ZJ 4.5" coils using lengthened Ford radius arms/SOA on stock leafs w/ a traction bar setup

36-37s, haven't decided on tires yet, need to be able to do mud so MTRs are out, but they need to be able to be street driven, so Swampers are out, BFG KMs?.

Interior Cage/Exo/Flatbed(should I tie the cab's exo into the flat bed or should I keep them seperate to allow the "frame" to twist??)

Also thinking about doing a 2001 Front clip(have two matching fenders(slightly wrinkled) and the cracked header panel from the XJ anyway, so I figured I might as well). Does the hood need to be changed as well to match??

So here's the interesting part, besides my questions above, do you guys think this can be done on this budget?? Do you think that if I buy a comanche for 5-700$ that it will have far too many maintenance issues to deal with that will end up costing me?? I originally wanted to swap in a late model 4.0/Aw4/231 to save myself the trouble of chasing gremlins of a high mileage, tired, renix 4.0. But I think costs are gonna put the nix on that one. Thanks

Ary

P.S. Check the wanted board if you have any leads on MJs....I'm in Virginia

first off the renix system is very reliable....and for around 45.00 you can take it to a dealer and have em read the codes...I avhe bought two MJ's in teh lst few months onf 4cly and the other a 4.0 with auto...both where under 900.00 I am in the process right now of what you wish to do......fatbed etc...but I am cutting down teh axles to fit stock XJ size...full width gets you into trouble in the narrow trails out west....

Back