• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first build! Jake's 93xj Blog

well I guess I better update this before I get to behind with the pics

287_zps77814975.png

it's time to fix some damage and make this jeep pretty
started by taking the jeep to an old friends shop who helped us give the jeep a good pull

290_zps2057fc4e.jpg

then took a couple things off of the white jeep

293_zpsd0e5d4c8.jpg

here is my new section. I also took the 2x6 rocker off the other side

286_zpsd19f04c7.jpg

drilled out some spot welds.. a lot of spot welds. and started peeling back layers of the body

292_zpscd7d90a5.jpg

and this is what it currently looks like. you see where I'm going with this?

291_zps2466fd4d.jpg

alright so here's what I was talking about when I said "peeling back layers"
I'm drilling out all the spot welds and the layers literally peel off

295_zps7980dd61.jpg

the basic idea is to peel off the damaged layers then do the same to my new piece (except opposite) and make a giant puzzle piece

here is my roof corner with the brace removed. my new chunk of cherokee will be cut to fit into this piece and so on and so forth. the most difficult part will be the side of the firewall, which is still bent in and wont budge

294_zpsffbc7608.jpg

wish us luck. big thanks to my dad who is the mastermind behind this repair

hey jake I sent small shafts 2 Pms, he hasnt gotten back to me on the rotors for over 2 weeks. you can come grab them if you want them. they are yours. saves ya over 60$.

wow thats looks crazy.

Yeah you might as well cage it and boatside it with that much material removed already.

thats a good point. I agree. At the very least - some 2x6 rockers. Boatsides and raising the door line and chopping the doors would be even better.

it's actually not as much material as it looks like. the doors are most of the bulk. that white xj had 2x6 rockers already on it so those are certainly being re-used. boatsides are heavy, and raising the doorline would be sweet
but it's already hard enough for me to get in and out of this jeep lol

He said you need a unit bearing? do you need a unit bearing?

cool. I got a unit bearing you can have then.

thanks man. ok so here's my final puzzle piece

297_zpsd188676c.jpg

and bam. fits like a glove

296_zpsf029464d.jpg

298_zps7d50b491.jpg

alright so that was kind of a hectic mess hacking parts. but that's the thick of it
game plan from here on out:

prep for welding
test fit doors/windshield
weld
plexi windshield
remove interior
frame stiffies
cage
paint
roll it again

looks good jake. i dig it man.

thanks man. here are the final stages

7f330780-ead7-4e43-9c8e-929015bd9b6b_zps607fb089.jpg

304_zps6a89045e.jpg

cut up the driver side for the 2x6 rocker

299_zps35d00819.jpg

and immediately after test fitting I decided you guys were right. these would look way better if I cut the doors and tucked them even higher. to bad the other side was already pre welded in place. nothing is set in stone. maybe I will keep cutting

300_zps3a1231da.jpg

hung a door and test fitted a windshield. we're only off by a few millimeters in a few spots. I'm happy with it

301_zps2ce7f4c8.jpg

and then I came home to these. the first thing I noticed is that the middle sections are about half the size and weight as the ruffstuff ones. I think I'll be much happier with these

302_zps181d4107.jpg

big thanks to my dad for being the mastermind behind these repairs. couldn't have done it without him

Back