• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Dana 35 to 8.25 swap adventure

lightfighter

NAXJA Forum User
After reading several threads about a Dana 35 to 8.25 swap I thought I had everything in order. I however found that my 99 Cherokee lifted 3.5" needed more attention than was noted. I also completed a ZJ disc brake swap onto the axle.

1. The drive shaft will have to be shortened before going off road. It is approximately 1 - 1 1/2 inches to long. I found several that talked about a possibility but none had done it.
2. Did the ZJ disc brake swap. New e-brake cables were needed. I still haven't installed them but both the ZJ and XJ cables were old and would not work with out some rigging. A grinding stone for a drill made quick work of the backing plate modification.
3. Axle seals are a must. I made the mistake of thinking mine were good. I had to take my axle apart twice.
4. The U-bolts from a Dana 35 are too small. The 8.25 takes a 3 1/2 inch bolt versus the 2 1/2 from a Dana 35.

Otherwise now its a big improvement and should last a long time. If anyone is thinking about doing the swap take some of this into consideration.

On a side note thanks again Skipper51. The new axle is awesome!

ive personally ran a D35 driveshaft wih a 8.25 axle, from a 2"-4" of lift, never a issue including a few jumps

How big of a lift can a stock drive shaft take if you swap from a 35 to an 8.25? I've got the IRO 5.5 kit to go on, at the same time I'm putting in the 8.25 to replace the D35. I was told the drive shaft should be good to go.. just wanting to make sure.

Back