• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My custom corners

Jeep9717 said:
Nice, but where's the Corona like in the old pics?? Didnt grow out of it did ya?

Yeah, I saw it sitting there in one of the first pics.....classic....working on the XJ, drinking beer.

Jes,

How does it ride (on road) w/ the shackles relocated like that? Also, did it provide any lift in the process? I've been considering doing this but I still drive the XJ quite a bit...

Chris

Looking good Jes! Your Jeep is still my dream Jeep! :D

87manche said:
I heard somewhere that it would fold like a taco if you wheeled without a htach.

suicide1.gif

uncc civilengineer said:
Jes,

How does it ride (on road) w/ the shackles relocated like that? Also, did it provide any lift in the process? I've been considering doing this but I still drive the XJ quite a bit...

Chris

The ride is very plush since you can run a leaf pack with less arc and you can position the mount for a good shackle angle. Yes it provides lift.
The only drawback is I drag the leafs over rocks all the time.

Billy, there is no hitch, just a shackle tab welded to the bumper...
standard.jpg

I did trim the ends of the rear cross member for aesthetics though...
standard.jpg

Oh, and for the beer comments. I'm drinking a Corona right now. :D

Good job on the panels....now for the negative......I noticed an open beer on the bumper, I also noticed a power tool in the vinicity of said open beer. It obvious that you were consuming that beer while operating the tool.
Being as I am the head of the PTP (Power Tool Police) I must inform you that I will have to impound your XJ, so please deliver it to :
My House
Campton NH. 03223

LOL......great work, and I was impresssed with your "cancer free" rear floor pan.

mikeforte said:
Very nice job. Wish it was as simple to do as you make it seem .

Thanks and ya, I know.
To tell you the truth though, before this project I had never welded on the XJ body before and I had never welded tube before.
I did the "tack tack" method on the body and the welds on the bumper came out, well... crappy but I don't really care. The only way you can learn is by doing it. ;)

Boredom and a Sawzall are a bad mix. Throw in a beer or two and yet more stuff gets cut off...
standard.jpg

:lickout:

Jes, did you cut the ovals out or did someone do it for you? If you did it, how'd you do it?

Captain Ron said:
That cut is about four feet too high.

:D

--ron

I'll cut the rest of in a couple more years. ;)

I started by slicing the window pinch seam between every spot weld and folded it over...
standard.jpg

I'm using 3X.125" stock for the top and inside to build the rails. I really wanted diamond plate for the top rail but couldn't find any in a four foot length...
standard.jpg

Added some upper outside pieces...
standard.jpg

...I ripped off the idea for it from Porch Puppy.
Time to bow down to Bondo...
standard.jpg

Used some 1X1 angle for the roof tie-in...
standard.jpg

1X1 tube for the B pillar and some panels scavenged from what was cut off the roof...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

At least this won't be a problem anymore...
standard.jpg

Down to the last coat of Bondo and some finnish painting.

Back