• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Con-Ferr Rack

ReverendOD

NAXJA Forum User
I picked this up Friday for $60. It needs to be cleaned up and adjusted lower but it was quite the find. Were going to have it blasted, paint it and replace the warped plywood floor its currently has.

4397207918_595ebd2b15.jpg

4397208366_89fc893a41.jpg

That rack is extremely dangerous and should be removed from your vehicle immediately.

Please ship it to me for proper disposal.

Way jealous!

Nice find! I like mine but it kills the mileage.

You know we drove it about 200 miles and averaged a hair over 20mpg.

Then no worries! I'm sure I have other contributing factors.

Did you get any accessory mounts with it? I'm going to fab my own since Con-Ferr isn't around anymore. I'm looking at building mounts for a hi lift and a shovel.

I dig the Conn Ferr rack for it's durability and many uses. I got this one from a guy that was going to throw it away, but I had to buy some (6) rack brackets for the stock roof tracks since it would not work with the cross bars. Ordered them through OffRoadUnlimited for $65 (SKU #DS5-6).

Primer, annual paint, and a few home made brackets for spare and Hi-Lift make this a keeper. Road noise sucks, though.

ry%3D400

I didnt notice any unusual noise with mine installed, aside form the plywood floor he had it in was causing the roof panel to vibrate and rattle the dome light. But ill be removing that wood.

Mine doesn't create any noise that I have noticed.

My Conn Ferr rack looks more shallow than yours and I definately notice road noise. I had this on a different XJ for two years and just moved it to my red Cherokee. Same noise on both (duh). Driving the Jeep without the rack is much more pleasant, but it is a worthy trade off.

It is loud enough to notice. Not sure the actual decibel level, but it is like a loud, continuous, low rumbling fart after a particularly satisfying trip to the local buffet.

By the way, I have had three separate racks on four different Jeeps. Liberty and Thule = loud. Grand Cherokee and BMG rack = loud. Cherokee and Conn Ferr = loud.

Last edited:
I should be picking one up this week with a hi-lift mount and Thule setup.
How bad is the road noise?
Guess it has only 4 mounts, would it be recommended to get 2 more?

This one.....
driversidereduce.jpg

backreduced.jpg

That's a short Conn Ferr rack...but WTF? I'm digging your rear windows with the pop out panels. Nice. But I digress. Perhaps that is common with two-door XJ variants and I'm just not familiar.

I must have an 18" extension in mine or something. I do remember taking it apart and finding old, black water inside, so I filled it with expanding foam and reassembled the halves after priming and painting the inner mating rods. Then I wire wheeled the entire rack and primed it and rattle can painted it with black satin. Done that about three times now.

I drilled two holes in two cross members and mounted 1/2" bolts and fiber locking nuts to secure my 48" Hi-Lift jack. I hold that down with wing nuts and it lays down on the floor of the rack. Not the best option, but it was an inexpensive solution. I'd prefer it on the side like yours.

My Conn Ferr rack looks more shallow than yours and I definately notice road noise. I had this on a different XJ for two years and just moved it to my red Cherokee. Same noise on both (duh). Driving the Jeep without the rack is much more pleasant, but it is a worthy trade off.

It is loud enough to notice. Not sure the actual decibel level, but it is like a loud, continuous, low rumbling fart after a particularly satisfying trip to the local buffet.

By the way, I have had three separate racks on four different Jeeps. Liberty and Thule = loud. Grand Cherokee and BMG rack = loud. Cherokee and Conn Ferr = loud.

Sometimes the position of the rack can change the amount of noise. Maybe you can lessen yours by sliding the rack rearward or forward and see if that helps.

That's a short Conn Ferr rack...but WTF? I'm digging your rear windows with the pop out panels. Nice. But I digress. Perhaps that is common with two-door XJ variants and I'm just not familiar.

Yep those usually come on 2 doors with tons of options (usually laredos that I've seen). Factory mirror tint too. Too me forever to find a set again after I got rid of my first jeep with em.

Back