• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my attemped at "cold air intake"

i have put one in my jeep and so far i have not noticed a hp gain but i have noticed it makes my jeep consideralbly louder then it was and gets me a lil bit better mpgs

Yeah, and it should have stopped before it got to the moon visor:gee:
ha ha perfect. that's why i'm glad it's my jeep and not yours. i like the visor and it's my jeep so i don't really give a hoot if you like it or not... that's what makes jeeps custom and different from one another...

In a pinch, a nice grass chute can be made from a thick piece of leather about 8"x10" when your plastic POS one breaks from hitting trees. You fasten this to the mower deck over the grass discharge hole with a few self tapping sheet metal screws, just along the top creating a flap. I came up with this after getting pelted in the throat with a piece of gravel. works great and never clogs.

In a pinch, a nice grass chute can be made from a thick piece of leather about 8"x10" when your plastic POS one breaks from hitting trees. You fasten this to the mower deck over the grass discharge hole with a few self tapping sheet metal screws, just along the top creating a flap. I came up with this after getting pelted in the throat with a piece of gravel. works great and never clogs.

what in the hell are you talking about? Were did the lawnmower come from in the thread?

+1 badaxj it is all about learning. I've fabbed for years and some of the monstrosities I made when I started are funny. But I learned from them all. I can't wait to start making goodies fer the xj. You'd be amazed at all the household items that can be used for automotive/motorcycle parts. The foam insulation you speak of can be found at Ace. It is in the plumbing section and comes in dif sizes. It is basically handlebar pad foam or roll cage wrap/foam. I also am looking into maybe cutting a hole behind the headlight to get airflow around the sides of the headlight. For now, until I get some $, I might swiss cheese the front of the airbox. We'll see.

Some of you critics crack me up!! At least the dude made some good effort, I give him some cred for it!! I have seen some very retarded backwoods hillbilly crap on this site!! Usually you critics are the one's who fabbed some of that RBH crap!! His homemade design is better than stock and he MADE it!! :thumbup:

there's nothing wrong with the setup...he's not going to gain even 2hp at the crank if he was to 100% seal it off from the motor...there is no point the plastic will keep water from spliashing up onto the filter which is good enough for me

i refuse to spend $200 on something i can make in 10 minutes with stuff laying in my garage...and at the end of the day I MADE IT not some kid in china

flame on

I saw an interesting take on the cold air intake idea last month, I was in a parking lot & noticed this. Looked like he cut a hole in the firewall cowling & installed a filter in the space just below the wipers, under the little grill.

I waited for a while for him to come out so I could ask for a closer look but he never showed, Has anyone else tried something like this?

it may not look factory but props for doing something with your hands. i'm amused by how many people dump loads of money into prebuilt/ bolt on stuff for their rigs then call them custom and trash on people who build their own stuff which often works better but may not look as cool. this hobby is about doing stuff with your hands if you ask me. first of all, you've got to start somewhere and second of all, not everyone has the money for a $250 FIPK kit which looks cool but is a total load IMO. i think it looks pretty decent for the materials used and at speed, you're not getting hot air like those guys said. but who cares... there are a lot of things on my rig that could be better but i'm proud to have built them with my own hands and trying things out of the box. i started out doing basic things and wasn't so great at it. as a matter of fact, the first mod i did was a V8 airbox swap for a bigger box and new filter(had it kicking around). it may not have been the most professional but it was the beginning of my learning curve. now, less than two years later i'm fabbing nearly all my own custom parts and installing lifts etc for $$. f anyone who gives you crap, it's your rig and your hobby. do as you please. "Jeep on":us:
FWIW, this all started with an airbox swap...
dsc01183rkn9.jpg

Holy shit dude, where can I find that airbox you swapped in for that? I've almost got wood! Very clean looking and love that giant flag/jeep sticker. :patriot:

it's deffinatly not as good as a snorkle but it deffunatly is better then 99% of the other homemade intakes i've seen on here, most people just grab a rusty's air tube nd slap a k&n on it, so before you allgo flameing on the guy go critic your stock intake and think about the the tiny whole in the front of the air box with the relitively lage gap between the air box and the grill that leaves space for hoter air possibly to get into

his design might not be 100% eficciant but even if it sucks some hot air is still no where near as restricted as stock

I think this guy has the 1% http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAirFilter.htm

heres what i did for my home made one. it has evolved since but heres the basic idea
oldblueintake.jpg

bluethrottlebody.jpg

newfilter.jpg

i realize its not super sealed but it does breath better (as per the butt dyno) and i made out of stuff i had. it now sports A&M filter with pre filter for the bigger stuff.

i also trimmed out behind my headlight and have a poor mans "ram air" so actually its getting cold air.

Last edited:
One thing i did was wrap the coolent hose that runs through there with some insulated pipe tape stuff i fund at home depo to supposedly keep the heat out of my home made sheild... Not sure how much of a difference it makes but hey, it could!

One thing i did was wrap the coolent hose that runs through there with some insulated pipe tape stuff i fund at home depo to supposedly keep the heat out of my home made sheild... Not sure how much of a difference it makes but hey, it could!

not a bad idea - never thought of doing that

only reason i thought of it is because that hose blew on me like a week after making my sheild lol and i thought to myself as the new hose sat in my hand "self, might as well do something about before you put that in."

Back