• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 94 XJ uses R12 and I just bought the retrofit kit...

I work at advance auto, our retro fit kit that we sell is supposed to be compatible with r12 vapors(i.e system is already pretty much empty), so if your system is empty you can just connect the new ports and go. there are some flushes we sell if you are concerned about r12 vapors, but my boss is an airconditioning god and he says its ok, and ive seen a couple dozen customers do it this way in our parking lot so i assume he is correct. There are 2 reasons why you cant just retro fit it if it is full.
1) r134a and r12(more than just vapors) will combine and eat out all the o-rings in your system.... bad
2)venting r-12 into the air is illeagle, and you will definatly do that if you try to retro fit with a full system.

also, if you go to an advance, get the artic freeze kit, a little mre, aroud $40, but well worth it, it stays very cold with the car sitting still (something that applies to jeepers moving at 3mph on the trail)

old_man said:
There is however a replacement coolant that is 100% compatible with R12. I think the one I was looking at was R412 or something of the sort.
It's R413 - it's slightly colder than 134a, and worked fine in my non-converted system, until my condenser sprang a leak!

bajacalal said:
Chancer, I rarely ever use my A/C, driving around Southern California...in the summer. I would be hard pressed to find much use for it, in Scotland.
What can I say, we're not built for the heat up here! :shiver:

Back