• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 87 xj wont shut off

Try removing the electrical connector from the ignition switch and see if it shuts off.

i removed a little red wire on a clip from the coil and now the truck works right. when i plug in the battery with the ignition off i get nothing and when i go to turn the ignition i put it to run and the fuel pump kicked on and it started and shut off with the ignition

i removed a little red wire on a clip from the coil and now the truck works right. when i plug in the battery with the ignition off i get nothing and when i go to turn the ignition i put it to run and the fuel pump kicked on and it started and shut off with the ignition

Can you post a pic?

i cant at the moment but is just a single red wire on a clip. it runs up to the starter relay

Does it push on like a female spade, or is it connected with a ring terminal like all of the other larger wires? My diagram is not showing a red wire with a spade terminal. Does it look like an add on, or stock wiring?

I even looked at my 88 and see no usable "red" wire on the relay. They all have ring terminals. It may be an add on.

starter_motor_relay1_199c.gif

it goes into a group of wires the plug into one of the male connectors
Definately need a pic. Have you followed the red wire to see where it goes?

I found a troubleshooting chart in the 1990 Electrical Service Manual that has "ENGINE CONTINUES TO RUN WITH KEY OFF" (their caps, not mine). Two possible causes listed are 1) Defective starter motor solenoid or 2) Shorted diode in alternator warning lamp circuit. Fixes are 1) Replace solenoid or 2) Replace diode.

Warning: Found this jewel of information on page 8D-57 of the Electrical Service Manual. This section is for the 4.2L engine, but the information might apply. There is no corresponding troubleshooting chart for any of the other engines.

:eyes:

Back