• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 8.25 gears sound like they're about to blow up

My 8.25 made horrible noises for about a year after I bought it. I am very surprised I didn't have a major failure with it. I am truly impressed with the durability of the 8.25 axle.

Dude, I drove on this one for 40,000 miles with the bad ring and pinion, out of apathy lol!

So long as the housing is fine who cares! haha

That was fast! Got my bearings yesterday. Motive install kit with real Timken bearings- Only 100 on ebay.

Motive install kit for the 8.25 by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

Now I just have to get the gears and find time. I have been storing my jeep in my stall at the dealership. haha (I work at Lithia Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Eureka, CA.)

That was fast! Got my bearings yesterday. Motive install kit with real Timken bearings- Only 100 on ebay.

Motive install kit for the 8.25 by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

Now I just have to get the gears and find time. I have been storing my jeep in my stall at the dealership. haha (I work at Lithia Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Eureka, CA.)
Are you changing ratio or do you have damage to the existing gears? If the existing gears don't have pitting I would continue to run them.

The existing gears have ton of pitting and wear in a crappy pattern. I would NOT run them again. That was the reason for the title of the thread- the gears sounded like they were going to blow up. I was told they are USA Standard gears, a company that literally has a disclaimer saying "not warrantied for noise."

I have the new R&P coming this week.

Got my ring and pinion today. Went to take the damn thing apart- The carrier is worn out. The soupy metallic gear oil must have ground the wear surfaces down, the spider gears can be clunked up and down, and the cross shaft is loose inside the carrier. You can actually see where the hole in the carrier is beginning to mushroom out from the wear.

Also, the whole thing got so hot that the ends of the axles are burnished blue. Yikes.

I got it towed home. Couldn't keep it at work any longer.

So now I have to make a choice.

Should I get a detroit locker? I hear the new "soft locker" isn't bad. Either way, I need a carrier so why not go full case. I don't really want to drop the 1200 it will cost for an arb + compressor.

The axle-

Untitled by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

Coming home.

Untitled by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

bummer dude.

You can actually see where the hole in the carrier is beginning to mushroom out from the wear.
you now have first hand experience why lunchbox lockers are weak.

Also, the whole thing got so hot that the ends of the axles are burnished blue. Yikes.
that will become a failure point in the future. do you have spares you can swap?

Should I get a detroit locker? I hear the new "soft locker" isn't bad. Either way, I need a carrier so why not go full case. I don't really want to drop the 1200 it will cost for an arb + compressor.
I know nothing about the new detroits, I have not been impressed with full detroits in the rear of most rigs.
I have heard of people having good luck with the new Grizzly from Yukon.
not sure if they make one for your application, but something to look into.

my vote is ARB.

rwkhaus has good deals on the Yukon Zip locker..

They don't make a grizzly or a zip locker for the 8.25.

I have been doing some research, sounds like the detroit is on par with the powertrax no slip, they are like an aussie, but without the obnoxious clicking and constant clunking. And of course, way more strength being full case.

I think I'll do the detroit, plus some Ten Factory Shafts. Those are only 85 bucks a piece from jeepinoutfitters. Works for me.

I would love an ARB, but I don't need it... This jeep doesn't have to be silent on road, nor do I care about the benefits of being open on the street. It is not a daily driver, and if it does make some extra noise, it will have to compete with the rattles, squeeks, exhaust and humming tires. ( I don't want to have to wire and plumb a compressor for the locker either.)

I think the 8.25 with a Detroit, Ten factory shafts, plus brand new gears and bearings will be pretty sweet. (Compared to my worn out open carrier junk)

Was not aware, then I guess why not a detroit?

Go Detroit and shafts p

I have a full case Detroit in mine and I love it. Smooth operation and full traction when I need it. Barks tires in parking lots occasionally but it's a very acceptable trade off.

Back