• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 44/9" full width cherokee build

so i am doing the same build and i was wondering did u have any problem with your exhaust pipe getting in the way of the yoke on the front?

Gravesdiggerxj said:
so I've set the toe as close to between 0" and 1/32" toe in as I can probably closer 0"

and caster is now set to about 7* and I pulled the steering stabilizer to get a baseline and I still have a pretty significant shimmy above 45mph?

should I try 5* caster and 1/16" toe? Any suggestions would be great.

Sounds like it could be the tires. I'm running somewhere around 7* caster, 0" toe, airsoft BBs in my 35s, and have no wobble.

Your alignment measurements are all within the acceptable range, unless something is worn or loose I would rule that out.

Tires out of balance will cause a wobble, if yours are showing signs of that I would suspect them as the culprit.

Are you using solid joints on all of your control arms, or do you have some bushings in there? I'm wondering if the single upper control arm is having difficulty controling the caster.

Last edited:
Tires out of balance will cause a wobble, if yours are showing signs of that I would suspect them as the culprit.

hey, wait a minute... didn't I already say that?

xjeepers2 said:
so i am doing the same build and i was wondering did u have any problem with your exhaust pipe getting in the way of the yoke on the front?

no problems with the front yoke and exhaust, but I've added about 4-5" of bumpstop up front. The rear driveshaft and exhaust was a different story because of the offset on the 9" pinion.

Prepmech said:
Sounds like it could be the tires. I'm running somewhere around 7* caster, 0" toe, airsoft BBs in my 35s, and have no wobble.

How much airsoft are you running?

I believe I'm at about 12.3oz I was at about 8.2oz, but it wasn't enough.

Your alignment measurements are all within the acceptable range, unless something is worn or loose I would rule that out.

Alignment is set between 0-1/32" toe in, 5* caster (4.5* driveside). Nothing left to be worn or loose.

The issue now is definitely tires. It will run as smooth as glass and if I suddenly speed up or slow down they will run out of balance.

Are you using solid joints on all of your control arms, or do you have some bushings in there? I'm wondering if the single upper control arm is having difficulty controling the caster.

Rubber on the driveside upper, solid joints everywhere else.

On another note, wife was driving it to work two days ago and got a mudflap ticket (I forgot to put them back on when I chopped the quarter panels). So stay tuned for a write-up on beefy removeable mudflaps.

haha, I was just giving you a hard time... :shocked: don't worry about it.

So the wife got a mudflap ticket the other day, and I needed some quick disconnect mudflaps so I made some.

Went to a local Flying J and bought a truck mudflap (30"x48") $12, and cut it in half
IMG00321.jpg

I set up a welding bench in the garage with some left over plate and welded some flat stock and round tube together. drilled some holes and bolted the mud flaps up.
IMG00340.jpg

Stuck some rod into the body and welded it in
IMG00323.jpg

slipped the mudflap over the rod and used some cotter pins to hold them on.
IMG00341.jpg

let the 5-0 hassle me now ;)

thats funny I just did my mudflaps too because I got a ticket. My mount was very much less cool but with the jeepspeed its been busy times... I got some hannemans put on the jeepspeed ;well they are painted and setting on it ha ha

reall simple, real easy... I like it. not that I like the look of mud flaps, but they oughta work great!

slcpunk74 said:
thats funny I just did my mudflaps too because I got a ticket. My mount was very much less cool but with the jeepspeed its been busy times... I got some hannemans put on the jeepspeed ;well they are painted and setting on it ha ha
Brian just got a mudflap ticket too: B-Town is cracking down on us non-mudflap criminals :nono:. Did you go to the car show?
I've been looking at their 'glass fenders. I'll come by this week and give you a hand.

Last week was busy for me too, I didn't get much time on my rig: Brian and I built up a 90' for Buttercup: d44 rear, lockrite front, homebuilt upper and lower control arms, 35 at's, about 6-7in of lift (before pic)
IMG00327.jpg

that thing eats the rear real nice!

hehe, that thing looks funny with no bumper (tee hee hee)

how thick are those plates? from that angle I'd almost say 3/16? but maybe 1/4? when I built my bumper, I used 5/16 for the plates... the bumper's pure beef! I look foreward to seeing the progress...

whoops! double post! can't remove it... stupid dial-up...

Last edited:
we got the fiberglass fenders on and the whole front is painted flat black. We got our seats on order(baja ultra) and the rest of our lift is order pending with shocks soon to follow... I got that txt last night and no NO! diamond plate.

Back