• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Started the Cherokee uprising.

And some finishing touches ... got the front housing and 3-link finished, Housing trussed and fully welded, swapped rubber end on UCA to cartridge joint and gusseted the frame side mount. Big thumbs up to the guys at Karnage. Time to start saving for the fillings.

and just scheduled the diff filling session ... the axle will be stuffed with Detroit true trac, and 4.56 gears. My spare 8.25 axle with Detroit will get a new pinion seal and solid pinion spacer. Then just a few spring perches away from being ready to play. Right now she's enjoying a well deserved rest while I flog the MJ and tackle the XJ's main wiring refresh finally (thanks to 5-90 for the kit). And then it'll finally be time to tackle the exhaust from manifold to tail ... the old hodge podge is gonna go!

Last edited:
Dropped her off at Westshore Spring and 4x4 for some differential lovin.

IMAG0663_zpsfeeb24c6.jpg

When I get her back she'll have working front diff with True Trac and a rear detroit. Then I just have to sort out a set of front recovery points amd she's pretty much eady to play after the front diff breakin period.

why are your CAs so low?

you could have put the lowers up even with the tube and raised the upper up quite a bit, given yourself a lot more clearance and a lot better CA angle.

If it becomes an issue we'll deal with it ... currently the upper is pretty much flat and the lowers ... well, yeah there's room to tuck them up. I'm guessing they were put lower to keep seperation with the upper being parallel to the ground at ride height. The other concern was link travel and the shock mounts connecting.
Yep, there'll likely be a few changes down the road, but nothing overly major, more as you pointed out just some tweaking of placement.
I also have issue with the front tires rubbing the lowers, but as the stock JK wheels and Spidertrax spacers are equivalent to a stock XJ wheels backspacing that was expected. I have a set of wider adapters fro the front (1.75") but the end plan is 15x8's with 3.75" BS and 33/12.5's down the road and then these will do trailer duty and spare tire duty for my wife's JKU.
For now, I'm gonna play with it and see what needs to be changed, at this point I'm tired of teh building part, I just wanna play! I'm sure a lot of minor issues will drive me bonkers down the road. For now she rides smooth and handles great even with not sway bar links (that's another issue I need to address - ATV tie rod ends and some creative gerthunkin inbound again - just waiting on parts to arrive).

well, got her back, all locked up and back to 4wd drive capable again. Rear Detriot in almost unnoticeable. New U-joint style yoke with Summit Billet ujoint caps for the D30 and a solid spacer for the 8.25. was a nice smooth drive back home, all but no vibes rolling the highway.

Of course heading up the Vic side of the 'hat I happen to glance down at the gauges ... nothing all reading zero, and no bus is displayed ... crap. break out the phone and fire up the gps speedo since the cops were out. She starts up, runs and drivs perfectly fine, so I'm hoping just a cleaning of the Cluster connectors/sockets will solve it.

This is how you retain a ujoint ...
IMAG0667_zps9f256346.jpg

Billet caps and through bolts ... Stronger than a strap, and no worry about overtightening like a ubolt. Best of both worlds, and beefy as all hell. Now to make it work on the 8.25 yoke as well.

Got the dash working again, pop out pop in and done.

Looks like I may have a front pinion seal leak though ... Time will tell.

Been slacking ... Installed Napier flares and 35's ... leftovers 35's ... Old style KM1 BFG MT's front and Dunflop Mud Rovers in the rear ... but for $350 for 5 tires I'm not complaining. Mounted on 15x7 Ultra type 104's I think ... they just fit over the WJ front setup ... and I mean just.

IMAG0753_zpsefbea170.jpg

IMAG0752_zpsdeebf79b.jpg

I'll get better pics when I get home, it was pretty late when I finished then had to go out to work for 8 days in camp.

Daytime pics, horns relocated to inside bumper, and ended up just repairing the stock washer tank, ZJ tanks need more massaging and didn't feel like fighting with it.

IMAG0756_zps74c1a988.jpg

IMAG0754_zpsf1d2ab8c.jpg

And the coverage should keep johnny law happy

IMAG0755-1_zps3160a0ad.jpg

Back