• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mufflers!

I was using a Hooker Aero Chamber that was on the jeep when I got it. Problem was it was installed backwards so it was loud as all hell espeicially since I don't have a cat.

So, a few of my friends have flowmaster 40 series, there jeeps sound good but are not loud even without a cat. So I got a 40 series delta flow for mine and had it installed yesterday. Its not any quiter than the backwards aero chamber lol it does sound alot better but its still damn loud inside the jeep.

I think I am going to try and turn it down right at the shackle instead of coming straight out like it is now. IIRC it wasn't loud inside until I cut the tip straight when I got my bumper.

I know I'm resurecting a dead thread, but which Magnaflows were you guys using and how long did they last? It looks like PN12255 stainless should be a fit for out trucks (5"x8"x18" and 24" long overall) and this would be going on a daily driver that doesn't really go off road right now (but gets a good workout with post winder Illinois roads!)

cal said:
Be carefull where it points. It can bake your rear axle and ruin the diff fluid on the quick.

could also boil the brake hardline running across the axle, and you'll be wondering why your brakes suck. happened to some on I know.

Trail-Axe said:
Is it legal to have the exhaust end forward of the rear axle on a Jeep XJ?

every jurisdiction has odd laws, but in Va it must exit the vehicle behind the rear-most, passenger, side window. Operative words are "exit" and "passenger"-- it must terminate beyond the side/back of the vehicle, but if you remove the rear seat, it can exit behind the front window.

I just changed my dynomax muffler that came on my cat back for a cherry bomb old school glass pack. I like to hear it a little and the dynomax was too quiet in my 20yo opinion

the spintec does sound nice its not to loud and has a nice burbble to it at idle and at about 3 grand under a light pull (on my rubicon anyway)

The Thrush Turbo muffler is about $30 at NAPA and I got it 2.5" inlet/outlet to match my Magnaflow cat. For the price of a kit your better off just peicing something up. even if you clamp it, it still sounds good.

Trail-Axe said:
Is it legal to have the exhaust end forward of the rear axle on a Jeep XJ?
Sure, here in WA, you dont have to have any exhaust pipe after the muffler to be legal. The only way is illegal is to have holes i nteh pipe before the muffler or no muffler at all.

Back