• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mufflers!

Love2Ride450 said:
x2 on the Thrush welded muffler. A lot less than a flowmaster, exact same sound. I am sure the performance is on par also.

I have the Thrush muffler as well, I like it and it was around 20 bucks, very happy with it. Its quiet on the highway and makes noise when you wanna hear it, down low.

My exaust is freshie fresh but I am totally regretting it. I was wheelin and I bottomed on a rock or something and I got a hole in my old stock rusty as hell cat. The muffler was still the stock one that came with the Jeep so I ended up cutting the exaust before the cat. Then continued to go to napa and was ready to get a flowmaster but they said that I would have to order it and it would take like two weeks. I wasn't exactly down for driving around with no exaust and getting a ticket so I went with the napa brand Quiet Flow muffler and the regular stock tailpipe. Needless to say I need a new setup, bad. Pretty sure that I am going to go with the Flowmaster 40, that seems to be what sounds the best.

yeah, a muffler w/ no cat is still gonna sound like ass...

IllianaXJ said:
:D $17 Cherry Bomb Turbo and a turndown from 'Zone. 2.25" in/out center/offset.

HPIM0862.jpg

I running a similar set up (have had the glass pack for a few years now), but just put the turndown on this weekend due to the cross over rear shock mount. Have you ever had any issues with the exhaust terminating there? Heat, noise, fumes, etc?

I like my glass pack. Has taken some hard hits, sounds decent, and it was cheap!

jdbwrx said:
I running a similar set up (have had the glass pack for a few years now), but just put the turndown on this weekend due to the cross over rear shock mount. Have you ever had any issues with the exhaust terminating there? Heat, noise, fumes, etc?

I like my glass pack. Has taken some hard hits, sounds decent, and it was cheap!

Be carefull where it points. It can bake your rear axle and ruin the diff fluid on the quick.

Is it legal to have the exhaust end forward of the rear axle on a Jeep XJ?

cal said:
Be carefull where it points. It can bake your rear axle and ruin the diff fluid on the quick.

Yeah, I probably need to either bend it down more or point it somewhere else. The exhaust shoots down to the axle tube, which I'm sure isn't good for the gear oil, and may be why I'm having issues with leaking fluid.

cal said:

I was very conscience of that when I set it up. I made sure the tip wasn't pointing in that area becasue of it. Like I said, just curious after seeing the pic if he/she has had any issue. (not trying to hijack here :))

flowmaster single chamber 10 series. 2.5" inlet/outlet center

runnin straight high flow cat need to get a muffler tho, a little too loud and sounds like a beat up diesel tractor. shit falls off when you mudride stock:smsoap: draggin exhaust down the road aint too good either:passgas:

cal said:

I ended up having my buddy run me a tailpipe out the back to get rid of the turndown. Muffler still sounds good, maybe even better now that the drone isn't right below the rear seat. It's not loud or throaty by any means, but that's what I wanted.

IllianaXJ said:
I ended up having my buddy run me a tailpipe out the back to get rid of the turndown. Muffler still sounds good, maybe even better now that the drone isn't right below the rear seat. It's not loud or throaty by any means, but that's what I wanted.

Quick question? I have Rusty's catback with FM-50 2.5 " from the down pipe all the way back. The tip is turned down at the shackle. Would a straite pipe all the way out instead of the turn down get rid of some of the in-cabin drone? :dunno:
I heard that a 2.25 pipe from the silencer out would reduce the drone and and incerase exhaust velocity.

techno1154 said:
Quick question? I have Rusty's catback with FM-50 2.5 " from the down pipe all the way back. The tip is turned down at the shackle. Would a straite pipe all the way out instead of the turn down get rid of some of the in-cabin drone? :dunno:
I heard that a 2.25 pipe from the silencer out would reduce the drone and and incerase exhaust velocity.

This is actually a question I have too. On Rusty's site they show a straight tip on the XJ exhaust picture, but in other photos it is clear that it is a turndown for the XJ and straight for the YJ. I wonder if Rusty's would use a YJ tip instead for me...

I would think the smaller pipe would make a bigger difference than the straight pipe vs turn down tip. A 90 putting it out the side instead of the back would make a noticable difference.

Most of my exhaust experience has been trial & error. Try the cheaper route first and change the tip. Let us know how it works out.

Back