• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving to Sacmamento

Appalachianxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if you guys could give me some input, since I have none.

I am considering moving from MD to Scramento to attend Wyotech. Which is in west Sacramento. An eventually to SoCal, to addend TheFabSchool. I am doing some recearch now, but would like some input from people who reside in the area.

Whats the wheeling like?
How far do I have to travel to hit the Con?
Hows the weather?
How cheap is diesel?
What is the reputation of Sacramento?
Is the cost of living high?
What are the local 4x4 shops?

I Some of these questions I have an idea of the answers but would like your opinions/input. Any other information you guys would like to add would be greatly appreciated.

Appalachianxj said:
Whats the wheeling like?
Prairie City OHV is the closest to you, it's ok, but not great. There is amazing wheeling within two hours North, South, East, or West.

About 45minutes to an hour

Hows the weather?
rainy and cold during the winter, scorchingly hot (100+) during the summer. Mild in both spring and fall. Rarely snow (once in 10 yrs or so)

How cheap is diesel?
I don't buy diesel, but it's around $2.79/gal I think

A big little city in CA. Some of the most unkempt roads in America, but is a nice city that has almost everything around. If I were you, I would live in a suburb, and I recommend Davis, since West Sac is a mere 9 miles away, and the town is totally isolated from the big city flavor of Sacramento, but is still less than a half hour away.

Pretty high. I can't put a number on it, but houses here start at $500,000, if you are looking for houses. Apartments in Davis are approx. 800-1000 a month, but in Sacramento, they are significantly cheaper.

Having never been to one, I can't suggest one, but we have those gay 4wheelparts and one called Central4wd, but they don't really do anything useful, and jack up their prices.
Hope this helps.

You might meet my friend Alex at Wyoteck next year, hes a cool guy, drives an audi

why not go to Wyotech in Wyoming?

:confused1

Sac is nice, much milder climate than Nebraska...

Wheeling is close, not too bad...

come on out and visit... i'd show you around some...

Sharpie did a pretty good job describing it... heres my take:

Appalachianxj said:
Whats the wheeling like?
Sharpie mentioned prarie city, its not bad for rig testing or screwing around for a couple hours... but it's only interesting enough to run about once a year. Although, within 2-3 hours you have some best trails around - Fordyce Creek, Rubicon, Barrett, Dusy-Ershim, Bald Mtn, the list goes on...

I think sharpies estimate was a little low. From downtown sacramento its closer to an hour and a half to the trailhead.

Hows the weather?
In the winter the averages are a low of about 40 and a high of 60. Rains quite a bit between december and march/april. In the summer, averages are a low of 60 and a high of 95. But we always see quite a few days of 100 - 110. It hardly ever rains in sacramento between mid-may and september.

How cheap is diesel?
Not cheap. It was up above $3.00 until the last few months. I havent bought recently...

meh... i dont get out much so I dont know what other people think

Yep, average sales price for a house in for sac in 2005 was $517,000

Multiple good shops between sacramento, auburn, and placerville.

If you dont have one than get a car alarm, and you can count on your shit getting broken into and stuff stollen on a regular basis, friends of mine who live in different parts of sac have had this happen many times. My opinion of Sac is not very high, i hate the whole area but if you want to move there than i suggest living outside of sac in a nicer area and commute. My 2c

Sorry to be soo negative but you have to look at the negative sides too.

MD or CA?

Yes you will pay more, there will be more crime and you will end up in a gang or hooked on some crazy drug, but it will be the best time of your life. Also the wether is better, and some of the best wheeling trails very close to you.

Back