• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving to Colorado Springs...

Stang5lgt

NAXJA Forum User
I finally talked my wife into moving to Colorado this summer. I told her I needed a place I could go Jeepin. Iowa doesn't have much. Plus I am carpenter and I have heard the housing market is pretty hot in Colorado. I have two boys. So I was wondering where I should look for a place to rent? Since my oldest will be in 2nd grade my youngest will be in Kindergarden. Also was wondering on places to wheel? I am selling my YJ before I move. But I will still have my XJ. And if anyone knows of anyone looking for Framing or Finish Carpenter let me know. Thanks

Colorado Springs is a spread out city, with a lot of different neighborhoods. North and east is pretty traditional, American type suburbs. I live in the central, older part of town. Steele Elementary School is one of the best in the city, if you can put up with stuck up, liberal, college professor snobs. There is a fair amount of rentals in this area, because of the Collorado College kids, and because the WW2 generation is dying off, and their kids rent out the homes rather than sell them.

It has gotten pretty pricey here. Growth is slowing down for the moment, but there is still building going on. Eventually, this area will run out of water, but until then there is still a lot of empty space.

Most of the wheeling is 2-4 hours from here. Moab is about 8 hours. :)

Fred

I'm not sure where CORE is. You might want to look in the southeast. Fountain, Widefield, Security. Fort Carson is expanding, and those areas look to grow along with it. The prices are a little more reasonable. 1/2 hour east of COS there is still acreage. Woodland Park, west of COS, is up in the hills. It's a little more pricey than in town. I'm sure there is quite a bit of custom building going on in Teller county.

Fred

Frank Z said:
CORE is quite a ways out, and to be honest it's not worth the gas money. There's plenty of free wheelin' here. I'm in the HVAC biz and know a few folks in the various trades, gimme a day or two and I'll see what's out there as far as framing/finish work is concerned.
I have been beating tin together part time totaling upto 3 years. I like HVAC. I also was a sparky for about 2 years. Plumbed a few houses. The guy I worked for doing HVAC did all those things. And one of my spec homes I did all the mechanicals on it. I used have my own business. Good money high stress. So I work for someone else right now. But I still have most of my tools and stuff. I like framing and finish carpentry my dad was carpenter(now he crafts). So I learned that trade since I was the oldest. My bros avoided working for him like the plague. :laugh: Thanks for the help guys.

We looked at Manitou when we moved here but were a little concerned with the housing. I've heard of issues with foundations down there but I think what really kept us away was all the tourists in summer and the fact that we wanted it a bit more quiet.

We bought up in Woodland and it's a nice looking town. I am very familiar with the school system up here so if you want to ask questions about that...shoot me a PM. All in all it's not too bad up here, although lately we've been talking about where we'll move to.

Atrain...I did not know there was another WP resident in here. What side of town are you on and what are you driving? :D

We are going to come check it in a month or so. Look for a job while I am there. We moved to W. Virginia last summer stayed with my dad, he moved out there 8 mos. before we went out there. Pay was crap so we moved back to Iowa. I wanted to move to Colorado then but she wasn't game. I have sold alot of my tools and stuff so it will be easier to move this time. I can't wait. I haven't been to Colorado since 2001. I was just driving through then. And I decided then I wanted to go back and check it out. Now I have a Jeep I really want to live there. Plus my sister and her husband are talking about moving there too. I will have family close then.

It is definitely pretty. I absolutely love 2:40 each day b/c that's when I'm usually walking home or riding my mountain bike home from work.

This has been a harsh winter. It was much nicer last year. We get some days that are damn cold. I really had a serious case of cabin fever this year and it's just now starting to get warm. I do agree though...I'll take a winter out here over those back in the midwest. I don't miss the 3 month long winter stretch of gray days. It's not so bad when it's 10 but the sun is shining. If you all are out here this summer...make sure you yell...we'll show you some stuff.

Back