• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving shock mounts

scot

NAXJA Forum User
i was thinking of moving the rear shock mounts up more even with the axle instead of below. was just wondering if its worth the few minutes it takes to do it or should i just leave leave them where they are at? will it really give me much more clearance seeing how they are so far out outboard?

I would say it is deffinently worth moving those shock mounts up high on the axle. I havn't done it yet but I get hung up on them all the time and in the mud they are like little plows. You will gain clearance but you will loose travel in the rear, you wont have as much uppward movement but you will have more downward movement.

scot said:
i was thinking of moving the rear shock mounts up more even with the axle instead of below. was just wondering if its worth the few minutes it takes to do it or should i just leave leave them where they are at? will it really give me much more clearance seeing how they are so far out outboard?

brian did this. i was thinking about doing it myself. I'm moving up about 2 more inches and this would save me the cost of buying some new shocks

check out this site:

www.projectxj.com

I've relocated the mounts on a few XJs using 2x2 1/4 wall tubing cut down the middle to make it 1x2x1 chanel and then notching it and welding a shock stud to the end that was notched so that you can move the shock as far out board ounder the spring but clear the u-bolts. I'm using the stock/3in lift shocks still at about 4 to 5 inch of lift and din't lose any travel at all and have never gotten hung up on the ancors again. I may have some pics so if oyur interested send me a message since I don't have a hosting service for pics.

I dug this out of the archives. IMHO it's the easiest way to relocate shock mounts.

I hope it works for the non members.

I have a write up on my site on a real easy way to do it using your old mounts but without welding directly onto the axle housing. Also dont forget that you must drop your bumpstops the same amount as you raise the shocks. Don't want them going through the floor now do we!

http://go.jeep-xj.info

shimmy said:
brian did this. i was thinking about doing it myself. I'm moving up about 2 more inches and this would save me the cost of buying some new shocks
i did the same thing too for the same reason.

Gojeep said:
I have a write up on my site on a real easy way to do it using your old mounts but without welding directly onto the axle housing. Also dont forget that you must drop your bumpstops the same amount as you raise the shocks. Don't want them going through the floor now do we!

http://go.jeep-xj.info
The directions on here are how I did mine. It's easy ans works great.

Heres a small variation to the write-up MaxJohnson did. I used one spring perch per side and cut off the ends of the perch just to where the arch becgins on both ends of it. This is waaaay out of the way.

is.php

Okie Terry said:
Heres a small variation to the write-up MaxJohnson did. I used one spring perch per side and cut off the ends of the perch just to where the arch becgins on both ends of it. This is waaaay out of the way.

is.php
Wow, I thought MINE was out of the way.
Nice job!

Okie Terry said:

When we put the shock mounts on my Ford 8.8 we did something almost identical to this. However, with RE's extended shackles it made fitting shocks interesting.

If I was going to do it again I would place the shock mounting bolt at the bottom of the axle. That extra inch or so of compressed length makes a big differance in what shocks you can use. Something like the ORGs mounts:

rsm001.JPG

-Brian

Back