• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving from Upstate NY to CT... Emissions/Inspection?

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody in CT care to fill me in on what the deal is with inspections and/or emissions testing? In NY, OBDII won't pass with the CEL on (which is the case with my Jeep.) Also considering purchasing another vehicle in NY and am just wondering how strict they will be on a vehicle I don't know a ton about.

Thanks in advance.

No vehicle will pass with a CEL on, however there are no inspections which is nice.

OBD2- cel on will fail
OBD1- light doesn't matter

What is the light on for? Jeeps are easy to get through, you can usually set enough monitors to pass the test before a code is set.

Yeah I haven't really messed with it, looks like it might be riding to CT on a trailer anyway. I'm in the middle of a long arm build so it's not driveable and I won't get to it in time. I was just curious about CEL, e-brake and whatnot. Looks like no safety inspection which is nice.

New emissions program coming october 3rd, they say there will be a few changes, but I took half of the 8 hour inspector course tonight, and so far everything has been the same as the old program

The only thing I can tell you on that is contact dmv. If its 95 and older, I dont see why not, but dmv should be able to give you a solid answer.

You dont even need that in CT, no safety inspection.

i would prefer a 98 or newer, optimally a 00 or 02. my brother looked into this and it seems all it needs is an out of state title so when registering you just check the "diesel" box for fuel type then go off of the year of the vehicle for emissions standards. my 03 Jetta diesel only had an OBD2 read and put on the dyno thing. i don't have any proof this is the standard but its what i herd from him, just checking to see if anyone else herd different.

Just about. Emissions goes back 25 years, but if it has a diesel swapped in, I have never had a diesel fail, even ones that block out the sun with their exhaust.

Back