• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving alt to ac mount

outlander said:
since we're on the subject.I have dual fans so I don't need the stock fan pulley.Does anyone see a reason why this belt routing wouldn't work?The yellow line is where the belt would come down off the alt and go to the crank.There would be sufficient wrap on the alt,no?This pic is from someone else on here that relocated the alt to where the ac compressor used to be,deleted the fan pulley,and has dual alternators.

I think it would work fine...all the components are still spinning the correct way

Justin

Only problem I could see is maybe not having enough wrap on the crank pulley.Stock routing wraps the belt around the crank pulley more....
I guess I'll find out how it works here in a few.....

outlander said:
since we're on the subject.I have dual fans so I don't need the stock fan pulley.Does anyone see a reason why this belt routing wouldn't work?The yellow line is where the belt would come down off the alt and go to the crank.There would be sufficient wrap on the alt,no?This pic is from someone else on here that relocated the alt to where the ac compressor used to be,deleted the fan pulley,and has dual alternators.

that looks like it will work . i like the dual alt. is one just a spare or are you going with on board welder?

not my jeep.He is using the other alt as a spare.Here's the link:http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=936552&highlight=dual+fans

I got the alt relocated today and did away with the fan pulley.Not positive yet but it looks like the belt is going to hit one of the bolts that go to the timing cover.If you look at the above pic I posted with the yellow line through it you can see what bolt I'm talking about,The yellow line runs right by it.....damn this sucks!!!Maybe I'll be stuck running the stock mechanical fan pulley so the belt doesn't contact that bolt,even though I really dont want to.If I have to go that route I'd have to buy a whole new ac mount because I cut the pulley out of the one I have today.
Any ideas?Thinking about removing that bolt and filling the hole with silicone,unless I can find a real low profile allen bolt to put in there so the belt doesn't make contact.I guess it's also possible to machine the timing cover hole down a bit so the bolt sits recessed on the timing cover.IDK

Last edited:
outlander said:
not my jeep.He is using the other alt as a spare.Here's the link:http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=936552&highlight=dual+fans

I got the alt relocated today and did away with the fan pulley.Not positive yet but it looks like the belt is going to hit one of the bolts that go to the timing cover.If you look at the above pic I posted with the yellow line through it you can see what bolt I'm talking about,The yellow line runs right by it.....damn this sucks!!!Maybe I'll be stuck running the stock mechanical fan pulley so the belt doesn't contact that bolt,even though I really dont want to.If I have to go that route I'd have to buy a whole new ac mount because I cut the pulley out of the one I have today.
Any ideas?Thinking about removing that bolt and filling the hole with silicone,unless I can find a real low profile allen bolt to put in there so the belt doesn't make contact.I guess it's also possible to machine the timing cover hole down a bit so the bolt sits recessed on the timing cover.IDK

let me look at mine tomorrow and search around , im sure someone has done this before. plus im going to be doing the same thing soon.

Thats genius how you figured out that the bottom bracket can be used up top,kudos.

It does however have a small amount of flex to it so I'll be adding a small bracket to the front right ear.I'll post pics when I'm done.

Oh and about the bolt that the belt is hitting,I was looking at it today and my opinion is that the biggest reason its there for is to add support to the lower part of the ac/mechanical fan bracket,not so much a timing cover bolt.I feel like it's not needed and will probably remove it and fill the hole with silicone.I feel like it will be fine with just the three bolts that go into the block.

I could see why the bolt would be needed if the mechanical fan was still being used because that would add a great deal of stress to the ac mount.I feel like it will be fine with just the three bolts that go into the block.

Last edited:
outlander said:
Thats genius how you figured out that the bottom bracket can be used up top,kudos.

It does however have a small amount of flex to it so I'll be adding a small bracket to the front right ear.I'll post pics when I'm done.

cool, i was looking at adding another blot to the front of the alt just to tighten it all up. im gonna be pulling my fan in the next few months, so im glad you figured that bolt out.

yea,I think that bolt can be left out without any problems......
I've been putting this mod off for a few months because it seemed like it was going to be a pain but after I saw that you are able to use the lower bracket up top I dove into it.Two hours later and a little fab work and its done.

I went out and got my belt today and the length for this setup is 81.5"
Its raining out right now so I'll install it tomorrow and I'll post back with pics and the verdict on if that bolt is going to be a problem(if it is I'll just pull it out and silicone the hole shut).I'll also post the part number for the belt after I make sure it fits right.

I feel so much better about slushing through the mud and the slop now that my alt sits high and dry!!The Belts for this mod are cheaper than stock and the alt is really easy to get to now to boot.....its really a win win situation.This mod only costs the price of a new belt($17.99)

Last edited:
IMO, the yellow line you put on that pic would be better than what is pictured as far as belt wrap goes. You won't wrap the crank pulley as much as stock, but more than that dual alt. setup.

Ok just got through installing the belt in the cold freezing rain:scared:
The belt length needed for this setup running without the mechanical fan is
76" The part number is 760k6.
A 75" long belt would work also.Fired it up and all is well.

The timing cover bolt mentioned above HAS TO BE REMOVED because it does indeed make contact with the belt.I'll get some pics tomorrow of the extra bracket I made that goes to the right ear of the alternator if the rain lets up.

Last edited:
outlander said:
Ok just got through installing the belt in the cold freezing rain:scared:
The belt length needed for this setup running without the mechanical fan is
76" The part number is 760k6.
A 75" long belt would work also.Fired it up and all is well.

The timing cover bolt mentioned above HAS TO BE REMOVED because it does indeed make contact with the belt.I'll get some pics tomorrow of the extra bracket I made that goes to the right ear of the alternator if the rain lets up.

i was going to say 81.5 seemed to long. yeah i figured anywhere between 75 to 77 , i moved my adjuster in a bit and then measured. im glad it worked out for you to . love to see the pics when your done. what type of fan are you using ?

no.I have dual fans so I had no need for the mechanical fan pulley.The belt only hits the timing cover bolt if you delete the mech. fan pulley at the same time you relocate your alt.

wishihad1 said:
for your average person doing this would i have to remove the timing cover bolt. im not planning on messing with electric fans right now

yeah it will work , i have the stock fan still in place

Ok here are pics of my setup without the mechanical fan pulley and alt relocated to the top.I'll post all this here in Rubix-xj's thread because there is no sense in starting a whole new thread for this and will aid in searching.

Dial up beware!!!Big pics!!!

Here you can see the bracket I made for the right alternator ear out of 1/8" steel

The yellow dot indicates the timing cover bolt that interferes with the belt and has to be removed.

The red dots indicate a 3/8" spacer that I used to move the alternator foward for proper pulley alignment(washers will suffice)

Last edited:
looks good.nice detailed pictures. is that just a straight metal strap near the idler pulley? did you have to modify the right side (looking at alt) bolt hole ? i might just have to add that piece today ..

:us: :us: :us: :us:

yep its just a strap.Nope,no drilling to the hole.Make sure the strap is as skinny as possible because the alt. fan blades sit pretty close to it....look at the very first pic.
I used a transfer case drop steel spacer(or use washers) on the bottom bolt ,put steel strap over that,then a nut over the strap.Then up top had to use a couple washers on the front side to get the strap parallel,put a bolt through the strap and the alt. ear,then a nut on the back side of the ear.
hope that made sense.....

Last edited:
very cool, when i started her up the other day and revved up the engine i could see that little bit of flex . ill be adding that strap today .

Back