• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mount Washington Auto Road

91Woody

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone had taken their XJ up the road and how it handled the road. I have yet to drive it and was thinking about doing it this year but am not sure what kind of stress it puts the vehicle.I would likely drop down from my 32's to 31's to have the better ratio but aside from that I'm not sure what else. Who has done it....anyone?

Took mine up about 2 weeks ago, I live about 10 minutes north of the Mt. Washington Auto Road. Ran fine, didn't have any problems. Lots of chevy's steamin on the side of the road. I just stopped a couple times on the way down to be on the safe side:flame: . They have water available for radiators all the way down the road...

Ive been up there before, its alot nicer with a stick shift, but I wouldnt worry about much other than the way down can be really annoying in a automatic even in 1st gear and such. Just dont ride the brakes. Hopefully youll have a good view at the summit, usually pretty messy up there.

i went there a few years ago and the thing i didnt like was the kamikaze drivers who drive the shuttle vans..... fearless bastids, and they ride your ass if you arent going fast enough for them...

Yeah, gotta make sure your brakes are alright!! Might as well bleed them before you go, and if you have drums in the rear, make sure they're adjusted.

Low gear is key for going down. Take your front shaft out if you want so you can use 4low!!

Haven't had the Jeep up yet. My first ride up was on my Honda CBX back in '85--it was a treat muscling that top heavy bike up there. It was one of the very few clear days, though, no haze and you could see for miles--about 90 at the base and 40 or so at the top. Second time up was in our old '85 BII--if that POS could do it, I don't think the XJ will have any problem.

F it dude, just hike up, or take the cog railway. Much longer to savor the views and dont' worry about taxing your vehicle so damn much!!

I happen to enjoy driving my Jeep when it's not for strict commuting purposes. I rarely get enough time off to hike the mountain...Cog Railway...nah, not my style.
I'm planning on re doing the rear brakes before winter anyway. The auto road is one of the few attractions I haven't done in NH.
One thing I dislike about my XJ is there is no dedicated L1 on the transmission, which would come in handy a lot of times.
Thanks for the feedback.

You can change it so that it does stay in 1st.

I'm a huge fan of beating the F outa my jeeps....but putting wear and tear on my jeeps on a paved road is just irks me!!! Everyone's different though, so enjoy!!

how can you adjust or change the trans to stay in first?

IIRC, mad XJ may have it?? Haven't looked there in a while. You'll have to do some electrical wiring stuff and make your own switch, but it can be done!! Search!!

Another option, since you're not going to be off any paved roads and will have no use for 4x4 (as long as it's not snowing yet) is to remove the front shaft. You'll increase you gas mileage and you can then basically use 4low...only it will be 2 low!!!

I drive my XJ on 35s way more than I'd like to on the road (because my other XJ is fuct up) so I remove the front DS a lot of the time and it definitely increases gas mileage!! If you're not going to be needing 4....why bother with a front shaft?? Just keep it in the back, and if you really need it, throw it back in there. Over long trips, the slight increase in gas mileage is noticeable...atleast for me.

good to know, I'll start searching for the homebrew L1 kit. I thought about removing the front DS a couple times but I will mostly be driving it for fun...maybe I'll remove it if I make the Auto Road trip though.

Would any body be interested in a "Meet & Greet" ride up the Mt. Washington Auto Road?

I've done this a few times in my other vehicles but not my current XJ.

Fall rides are always nice with a lot less traffic on the road (especially those Kama Kazi Bus Drivers).

It's a nice day trip for the whole family from most if not all parts of New England.

Mike
Methuen, MA

Hm, I know they're pretty restrictive on what you can/can't drive up it. I wonder if they'd let my XJ up the road as it'll sit after the current projects are wrapped up? It's still off the road for a little while longer at least though. But my VW shouldn't have a problem with it.

nhrocker said:
Hm, I know they're pretty restrictive on what you can/can't drive up it. I wonder if they'd let my XJ up the road as it'll sit after the current projects are wrapped up? It's still off the road for a little while longer at least though. But my VW shouldn't have a problem with it.

i think the Exo-cage would scare them... regardless of the actual condition of the Jeep they might say no... would be worth a call in advance.

I'd be down for a group ride but doubt many more would be due to the location. If any others are interested maybe we can plan a trip. We need to find out when snow begins falling on the summit though, I imagine it wouldn't be TOO much longer until it really gets cool up there.

Back