• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Swap Madness!!!!

I saw a boxed set of torx sockets at Lowe's I think I'll get. Funny my Craftsmen set has them in standard sizes.....

Yup, I bought that set yesterday. It comes with 7 standard torx, 7 security torx and 7 reverse torx in a handy carrying case. $39.00

Kobalt.

Seal's are in. Header is here too. need to look into paint for that. Anyone have any experience with the factory color spray cans? Just found out yesterday the kid will only be available for half the day. It's prom night.....

I've used VHT with decent results (if you follow the directions to the T). However, none of the spray can stuff I've ever used has lasted as long as I'd have liked it to. Which header did you get?

Well hell man.....by you were talking engine swap, so when you say header......lol

Any air-dried aerosol spray paint won't hold up for very long in the sun. It will become chalky and will need buffing to restore the shine, then one day you'll buff right through it and be back at square one. You need to consider a catalyzed paint that hardens through a chemical reaction rather than air dry. I think there are some custom mix cans out there available from some paint suppliers that have a built in hardener canister inside the spray can. It will have a button on the bottom to release the hardener inside the can, then you shake to mix then spray. The shelf life is very short after activation, so be sure you're ready to spray before you push that button.

Well hell man.....by you were talking engine swap, so when you say header......lol

Any air-dried aerosol spray paint won't hold up for very long in the sun. It will become chalky and will need buffing to restore the shine, then one day you'll buff right through it and be back at square one. You need to consider a catalyzed paint that hardens through a chemical reaction rather than air dry. I think there are some custom mix cans out there available from some paint suppliers that have a built in hardener canister inside the spray can. It will have a button on the bottom to release the hardener inside the can, then you shake to mix then spray. The shelf life is very short after activation, so be sure you're ready to spray before you push that button.

Thanks. Yea the headlight header has to be replaced and needs paint first.....

If it were me and I had nowhere to paint (which is the case now :-( ) I'd take it to a shop and have it sprayed. Even the best of the best of rattle cans are going to be a very thin coat compared to what comes out of a gun, and being as how it's on the leading edge of the vehicle, it's going to take a beating. I think having it done with proper equipment and real automotive paint will give you the best results that will last the life of the XJ. And it probably won't cost as much as you think.

If it were me and I had nowhere to paint (which is the case now :-( ) I'd take it to a shop and have it sprayed. Even the best of the best of rattle cans are going to be a very thin coat compared to what comes out of a gun, and being as how it's on the leading edge of the vehicle, it's going to take a beating. I think having it done with proper equipment and real automotive paint will give you the best results that will last the life of the XJ. And it probably won't cost as much as you think.

That is kind of what I'm thinking. I just know the shops around here. I also need two fenders.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/jeep/1998/cherokee/

I just bought all the stuff to do some work on my step dads Tundra from them. Test matched the color last weekend on the test trip that came with the supplies and they did a damn good job matching the color. I got all the supplies (prep, sanding, clearcoat...etc) and spent around $60. You could probably get away with just the the primer, paint & clear coat.

Problem with your Jeep though, no matter which company you use, it's most likely going to be darker than the rest of the Jeep. 17 years of the paint fading in the sun...

What I like about them is they have some very hard to find colors, especially for Toyota stuff. I was going to use Duplicolor but they had every other Toyota color except the one I needed. Maybe see if they have a listing on their site for the moss green?

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/jeep/1998/cherokee/

I just bought all the stuff to do some work on my step dads Tundra from them. Test matched the color last weekend on the test trip that came with the supplies and they did a damn good job matching the color. I got all the supplies (prep, sanding, clearcoat...etc) and spent around $60. You could probably get away with just the the primer, paint & clear coat.

Problem with your Jeep though, no matter which company you use, it's most likely going to be darker than the rest of the Jeep. 17 years of the paint fading in the sun...

What I like about them is they have some very hard to find colors, especially for Toyota stuff. I was going to use Duplicolor but they had every other Toyota color except the one I needed. Maybe see if they have a listing on their site for the moss green?

Thanks. There prices are better then the other place I checked.

Thanks. There prices are better then the other place I checked.

Pretty quick turn around too. I ordered on a Sunday and had everything by the end of the week. The paint is all made to order.

Ok Saturday is the day. Mike Tim you both still coming? Shot me a text or pm on what you are thinking. Anyone is more then welcome to crash at the house.

Yup, i'll be there. I'll be heading back that evening. Got a lot of yard work at the house that I need to get done on Sunday.

You got everything we need? I'll bring my AC stuff so we can empty that (and maybe recharge if things go quickly).

External torx bit for one of the bolts holding the transmission and engine together?

Yup, i'll be there. I'll be heading back that evening. Got a lot of yard work at the house that I need to get done on Sunday.

You got everything we need? I'll bring my AC stuff so we can empty that (and maybe recharge if things go quickly).

External torx bit for one of the bolts holding the transmission and engine together?

Great thanks! I don't believe the ac needs attention. I plan on moving the jeep around front on Friday after work. I have an external torx bit.

Great thanks! I don't believe the ac needs attention. I plan on moving the jeep around front on Friday after work. I have an external torx bit.

Hopefully we can get the compressor out of the way enough to get the engine out.

Plenty of room to pull the A/C Comp. up over by the coolant res.Use a bungee strap to hold it there.Also if you can't find the interted Torx socket a 7/16 12 point socket/Wrench would work...hence the Torx is a E-12 I believe.

Last edited:
Back