• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Swap Madness!!!!

Going to get started on it after work and prom stuff are handled. Radiator has a cracked plastic tank. Just ordered a new all metal one from radiator.com Should be here next week. :clap:

I'll shoot you a text when i'm leaving town. 8am appointment at discount tire then i'll head out.

I'll meet you at the shop.

I'll shoot you a text when i'm leaving town. 8am appointment at discount tire then i'll head out.

I'll meet you at the shop.

Sounds good. If you want me to pick up some beverages for you to take back tomorrow as a thanks for the help let me know tonight by text and I'll grab you some. Same goes for you too Mike.

All this talk of beer makes me want to join hahaha

Hit the road now and you MIGHT make it here by the time we get done.... :party: :clap:

Headed out to get started....

Got to the shop around 10 this morning to see that Glenn has just about everything removed. Looked at the motor mounts on the new engine and they were trashed. Looked at the ones on the old engine and found them trashed. Told Glenn that he needed to get motor mounts before we drop the new engine in. "What do you mean I need new mounts!?" he asked in all seriousness....

1a3a91754ca4bd3d037b6204eac8b9cf.jpg

Got the intake and exhaust removed while little Glenn ran to the parts store for us to get mounts and a new exhaust manifold. Everything was coming off way to easy, nothing was tight. Neither one of us could figure out how it was running even remotely close to good before it let go. The snag came when we hit the stupid external torx bolts on the top of the transmission. Lost a lot of time messing with those. However, we finally got them off and the engine out!

1ce788c3785e56e015de4824c7b24c9a.jpg

Right about here is when Georgia Mike showed up to help out (pulling a Toyota on his trailer, but we'll look past that...). Mike and I took off on replacing gaskets on the new engine while Glenn worked on removing accessories to transfer over. It became clear pretty quick that the new motor had been worked on before seeing as how the oil pan gasket was glued on, as was the rear main. We attempted to change the RM but gave up quickly for fear of causing a huge headache.

By the end of the day we got the new motor in and almost bolted to the transmission. Had to call it quits early so Mike could get back to Georgia, and Glenn to go help his son.

e965d2b60c5bec086605880088277090.jpg

Glad we got something accomplished today. Thanks for lunch and the variety pack of IPA's Glenn, I'm enjoying one of them right now!

Good to meet you today Mike and put a face to the name. Anytime you're up in the Charlotte area let me know!

Glenn has some more pictures, including one of me conducting official NAXJA business on my "lunch break"

LG and I did some cleaning before the swap:

Friday after work I did some pre removal work:

Saturday AM I had to get it back in the shop because it was raining.....

When you see it....

Then it was out:

Mike working on the replacement....

Tim doing NAXJA Crawl Business on our "Lunch" Break...

Thanks guys I most definitely would not have gotten as for as I did with out your help.....

I had to stop about 6:00 because it was my son's prom night and I was there photographer.... We ran into a snag with the dowel bushings. One had come out of the motor and the transmission. It was the same one. I'll try and post a picture later. What a great long day with some good friends. Thanks guys I owe you! Now to get this thing back together over the next week or so.

Right about here is when Georgia Mike showed up to help out (pulling a Toyota on his trailer, but we'll look past that...).

Whadaya mean we'll look past that? I say I had a moment of clarity when I bought this beast!

I'll be so glad to get away from the unibody issues for good! Yeah it's got IFS and zero horsepower. Zero torque, as well....but I gots a frame now!!!!!! And you all well know that a Yota axle is "just as strong as a Dana 60 with the right parts"

:sure:

Worked a little every night after work on this....

Monday:

Tuesday: New radiator showed up.

Wednesday: Got the exhaust and intake in and the torque converter bolted up.

Back