• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor is shot! Know WHAT!? IL

Fast95Neon

NAXJA Forum User
Motor is shot! Now WHAT!? IL

I filled up my tank with fuel...turned outa the gas station and all i heard was a pop and then started hearing this ta tatatatatat noise i dont htink the exaust is broke or antyhing and it feels like its running on 3cyl

any suggestions on where i ca get a newly rebuilt motor or something?

im pretty sure the 4th cyl is gone

Last edited:
I would make sure that is the problem before you go buying a new engine. If it is, check NAXJA classifieds, JeepForum classifieds, car-part.com, local parts house.

Fast95Neon said:
sorryifitbothersyouthanksforthehelp.

Just makes it a bit more difficult to read. Oddly enough, I found ^ easier to read than your first post (paradox, I know. Should be the other way about...)

Start off with a compression check (so you can see if you've got a leak in the cylinder - it won't tell you where, but it will tell you what and how bad) and you can do a leakdown test if you think you've got a problem. Compression results should be taken on all cylinders, averaged, and I think you should get all results within a "scatter" of about 5-7.5% on either side of that average.

Why for do you think it's the #4 cylinder, specifically? Even so, that's only one cylinder.

Re: Motor is shot! Now WHAT!? IL

Fast95Neon said:
I filled up my tank with fuel...turned outa the gas station and all i heard was a pop and ...

That's why I never relax until the guage is atleast a needles width down from FULL.
Sort of like that bridge on hwy41 just north of Attica. If I can make it past there, I'm golden :)

Fast95Neon said:
sounds like a rod knock a buddy of mine said....

how many miles on that motor in ohio?

whats shipping on that? lol

it had 156k when pulled
it might be easier to get your fixed if it is only rod bearings

I just saw a 4.0 form an 04 tj for sale here on local board. If youre interested you can email me for the link. I do not personally know the owner but can get you the info. Good Luck.

as far as rebuilding...who sells complete kits?

goin stroker is too dam expensive...lol

i dunno if iwant to slap in a used motor but its prolly way cheaper...

i had a 90 that did the same thing. i blew out the injectors and it did the trick. my motor made the whole jeep vibrate tho.

Fast95Neon said:
as far as rebuilding...who sells complete kits?

goin stroker is too dam expensive...lol

i dunno if iwant to slap in a used motor but its prolly way cheaper...

You're strokin a 4 cyl? Dumb.. and strokers can be built relatively cheap

First figure out the problem, it doesn't sound like you have done any troubleshooting yet. Like they said check everything before you spend the cash...

so my spark plug did pop out on on the 6th cyl....
the sparkplug somehow sandwiched the gap for some reason... i bent it back to normal
adn the 1st thread is stripped on the plug

any ideas?

or any links on the forums that could help?

Uh oh....... can you get a borescope to take a good look down inside #6's sparkplug hole, and down inside the cylinder? Threads don't just get fouled up on their own, they usually need assistance from crud.

Back