• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MORE GROUND CLEARANCE!

xjjeeper19 said:
If this was such a good idea then why did every big auto company go away from it? could be a space issue......oh that's right, it has become a safety issue. I can't think of any newer vehicle that has a tank inside of the passenger area. A fuel cell is different thing, it's safer than a regular tank, otherwise you could just use you regular fuel tank to go racing. If the guy has the back of his cherokee cut up and open to the air, then I don't see anything wrong.

on most infinity coupes and sedans the gas tank is directly behind the rear seat. between the seat and the trunk area.

I hope no one assumes I was bashing...I simply wanted to see what he did. I even mentioned I wanted to do something similar to gain tank volume.

I'm not bashing...so get a life.

PB040122.jpg

Heres some pics hope they help, i think this is a pretty slik way to get some more ground clearance. and as you can see all origanal parts were used, now i plan to cover it and use the space around it to put some military style storage boxes for tools and such.thanks for looking and all you haters can buy a skid plate and slide across all the rocks you want!

just because it's up inches higher don't think you don't need a skid plate either.

rocks have a nasty habit of locating unprotected things and being mean to them.

Ok i still might need a skid plat but at least it will be higher, and hit on stuff alot less.and now the tank is out of the way so i can see my 8.8 rear swap alot better!

Definately a cool idea, no doubt there. If I were going to put fuel in my passenger area, I'd buy a fuel cell specifically designed for that. The exterior tank is not designed to be used inside the vehicle for safety reasons. Plus, I'm usually carrying my wife and 2 kids with me, and I don't want that risk. Now if you made a steel cover for it and welded it to the floor, you would be back to "stock" safety with a ton more GC.

On the upside, you have freakin easy access to your fuel pump now!

I'm not gonna tell you to go buy a fuel cell otherwise you're an idiot, or anything like that, but I will say this. I don't foresee anything happening with the tank inside the vehicle, and I'm sure you don't either since you're the one who put it there, but shit happens. I've driven a vehicle that one day just sprung a leak in the gas tank. I got a little pucker factor anytime someone would flick a cigarette out on the highway cuz the leak was in the bottom belly of the tank. Anywho, y'never know what might happen. I wouldn't rush out to buy a fuel cell, cuz honestly, I don't think it's necessary. I would recommend getting some steel and welding around it so you still have a solid floor pan between the interior and the tank. Not only would it look better, but it would shut some people up and you would'nt have that monkey on your back of "what if." Just a suggestion.

Isn't there any structural value to the part of the floor that's been removed, mainly with this being a frameless vehicle?

Edit: My main reason for asking is that even my big old impala, which has a frame, has lots of structural sheet metal through the undercarriage and it would seem more relevant in a 4-wheel drive flex machine with no frame.

Back