• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More fall out from CO wreck

Bones

NAXJA Forum User
Some may know I got hit from behind at the NAXJA run in CO this year. Insurance has been jerking me around since. The vehicle that hit me sustained about $6800 in damages. My estimates ranged from $2800 to $4500. The at fault party and my insurance companies decided to make the "generous" offer of $1200 to fix mine. We have been battling back and forth for a while.

Well tonight they really P*ssed me off. I got a cancellation notice, not just on the Jeep, but on my minivan also. It said because I was at fault in an accident in 10-2003 (I was to the tune of less than $1000), I was at fault in an accident in 10-2004 (this one is news to me), and that I was involved in "Off-Road Racing" (when in the hell have I raced?) that I was a risk and therefore my coverage was being terminated.

I have been with Shelter Ins for 26 years. During those 26 years I have had an average of one minor at fault accident an average of about every 8 years (including my high school days). I have never used any other auto insurance since I started driving, but I guess loyalty doesn't mean squat when you stand up for yourself.

I have been trying to work things out with both ins. companies on the repairs from the August accident, but I'm done f'n around. Now it's time for the legal route. I was planning on going through small claims and taking what I could get with out the lawyers being involved, but the cancellation notice changes that. I'm going to consult a lawyer next week and see what he recommends.

I think I have grounds to fight the cancellation based on their reasons, since only one out of the three are true, but I really don't want to send the f'ers another dime.

Now I have to look for another Ins. company for the vehicles and will probably pull my homeowners policy from State Farm as well (the at fault parties Ins. company in question).

We'll see what the courts have to say about the rest.

Bones :skull1:

Good luck. Hope everything works out.

We're dealing with our own Ins. BS right now

Man this sucks!!!! I've had some battles with my prior insurance agency and after the accidently dropped my homeowners insurance (I didn't catch it for a year cause the money gets paid to them from my escrow account in the loan and they failed to notify both myself and my mortgage company) I got fed up and moved over to Allstate. Man what a difference in treatment! Then I rolled my jeep within about a year since I switched to them and I was worried about how they're going to handle it (the new customer ussually doesn't get treated as well as the old one): it took them 5 days from the time I reported it (Monday) to tell me what's the total loss coming out to and additional 3 business days to get the check into my hand (cause I had to sign some forms to buy it back). Talk about a positive shock!

Anyways I hope it all works out for you and if you're looking for insurance that can handle both policies look at Allstate (plus they give you a discount for having both with them)

I have come to the conclusion that there isn't such a thing as a good insurance company. We have state farm for everything...cars house everything. When we bought our house it needed a roof. Not that bad, it wasn't leaking...The shingles were just old and needed to be replaced. Well they jacked our deductable up to 5000.00 bucks because of the roof. When we went to refinace they wouldn't let us because of the high deductable.
I called the insurance guy and told him we were pulling everything if he didn't take care of it. He told us that since we were such good customers that he would lower the deductable to 1000.00 which was the highest that the bank would allow. Well two weeks after closing the deal with the bank we get a letter from the ins. company telling us our deductable was back up to 5000.00.
So I am also looking for a better company. Problem is...everybody has these storys with there insurance no matter what company it is.

In Idaho they can't cancel your insurance because of claims but they can jack the rates so high you'll leave.

A good agent makes all the difference. I'm biased though.

The little I know...

I have Progressive, rate-wise they are the best I was able to find last I looked (this was about two or three years ago, insuring an '84 Camaro and '89 XJ with two drivers, both with clean records, only liablity for both vehicles), I've never had to file a claim with them (and hope not to!), so I cannot directly help with that. I can tell you that I do know somebody who does something with insurance (not for an insurance company, that's all I know) and from her Progressive is the best she's used, AIS was horrible she said (not sure if you have that o ut there).

Anyway...another useless post by Sequoia ;)
Sequoia

DrMoab said:
Boy you hit that right on the head.
Reminder to self...add another reason to my hate Lawyers list. :paperwork
Whats the difference between a laqyer and a labrat?

There are somethings you cant even get a rat to do.

Told by my business law Prof, who was a defense lawyer in MO for 30 years. One crafty SOB.

Fergie

I've used State Farm for over thirty years for all my insurance needs and I know they'd drop me in a heart beat ... I've recieved several "warning" letters ... one for too many speeding tickets and one for too many claims.

When was the last time you've seen their "Like a Good Neighbor" commercial?

Wish you luck Bones ...

Les

For years I went through fortner ins. to get GMAC. They were complete idiots. After getting a stupid ticket recently, they wanted $150 a month for just liablity. This is the only thing on my driving record(I have 10 years driving experience). My girlfriend is with Nationwide, and they seemed to be pretty good so I went to talk to them. With Nationwide I pay $70 a month and they are not completly incompatant, like most ins. companys. Just thought I would share, maybe save you a little money.

P.S. I F***ing hate dealing with ins. companys.

I think it does rely on who your agent is. In general I've had better luck with the larger insurance companies (State Farm, All State, etc.). I have State Farm right now, and I must say that I am fairly pleased with them, considering what I have put them through. I've had two totaled Jeeps (one was not my fault, but State Farm still paid because the other person's insurance refused), one minor wreck (not my fault, but once again State Farm paid because the other person's insurance denied my claim because they couldn't get the person who hit me to talk to them), and two speeding tickets. I've only gotten one warning letter. Of course it could help that my insurance agent off-roads with me every once in a while... But anyway, good luck with the insurance BS that your company is giving you. Unfortunently, small claims court will get you no where because even if you do get a judgement the other person or company still might not pay. A judgement really doesn't have much backing to it to make people pay. It just says that they should pay. Get a lawyer and sue the insurance company. Or get mesothelioma...

that really sucks. when i first bought my xj (still paying on it) i couldnt find an insurance company that wanted less than 250 bucks a month full coverage. i called USAA and right now i'm paying 160 a month for both my CJ and my XJ. now that i'm moving back stateside i wonder if USAA is gonna jack my insurance back up, i guess we'll see......the joys of insurance, it sucks. i have a clean record, and yet since i'm single, under 25, and own a 4x4, they see fit to screw me outta every single penny they can....

My father has been an insurance agent at a local independent agency for about 25 years. They sell policies for very many companies based on the lowest price and best service (based on his considerable experience). He has (obviously) written every policy for everything myself and the rest of my family has ever owned.

He recently moved me to a new policy at Progressive when I bought a new DD, because they offered the lowest rates for my somewhat high risk. He told me they not consistently offer the lowest rates, but also the best claims service hands down because of their extensive number of field vehicles. He said they often have a representative on the scese of an accident before the police even show up.

The interesting thing about it is the fact that when he files for a quote for a prospective client he most of the time can get a better rate from progressive than they are willing to offer people who call the national hotline/website, but he rarely sells any because most people fall for the convenience of just calling them directly.

JMHO

Wow that was long.

Someone with lots of money here on NAXJA..I know there has to be somebody. Should get bonded and start a NAXJA insurance company for XJ owners..... :wierd:
Going back to bed :anon:

Good luck, Bones.

You are correct in hiring an attorney. Small claims court isn't the best route. I won an award from a deadbeat client 8 months ago, to be paid IN FUL on or before 16 March, and I still have only received about 1/3 of what he owes. He even ignored a court order for a marshal to take the money from his bank -- he simply drained the account before the marshal got there.

Insurance companies suck. It's a shame when you have to sue your own insurance company to make them do right, but it's a fact of life today.

Eagle said:
Insurance companies suck. It's a shame when you have to sue your own insurance company to make them do right, but it's a fact of life today.

that's why you contract with insurance AGENCIES.

big difference.

Good luck Bones.....I hope you get your fair share and then some for the hassle they've put you through.

Hey Bones,

What a bunch of BS! I have MSI insurance and other than their unwillingness to insure my bus they've been pretty good over the years. Like all other insurance companies I've had some BS with them but over all they've always paid out and always to my satisfaction. I've even got them to cut me checks directly so I could pay cash for the repairs. That's something they highly resist. But I have a cousin that is an awesome body man and he will not deal with insurance company's, period.

I don't know how helpfull they would be if I totalled the Jeep off road (I know this is not your situation) so I dropped full covereage on my Jeep and now just have liability. If I roll my Jeep I'm on my own :(.

Good luck and when shopping for insurance give MSI a look, they have also been consistently cheaper than others.

B-loose

Back