• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MORE bomb proof mounts in!!

COXJ

NAXJA Member #989
well when you hit the gass and theres a thud then the jeep moves that means that you have a worn out mount right. well the first time you here the noise replace them or it just gets worse and worse till this happens.
P1010055.jpg

all and all an very simple install i think it took me aobut 2 hours including lunch and phone calls. and holey cow the diff is amazing the response is much better. this is how they shoulda come from the factory.

WIll

If you do ever wear them out, they use the stock lower control arm bushing available for $4.90 at Autozone.

well it took the stock ones 115k to ware out so these will most likley out last the jeep.

Liam

COXJ said:
well it took the stock ones 115k to ware out so these will most likley out last the jeep.

Liam

I wish mine took that long...I did this swap at 65k...and my drivers mount looked about like the picture you posted up :smsoap:

The only complaints I had with the swap was he large amount of vibes the new mounts transmitted to my kidneys...

Matt

did you have to pull the oil filter stab too? i had to on my 92 XJ 4.0 HO and that sucked, because i had to drive to Nebraska the next week and didnt have any RTV the only day i had to work on it...

i got the OEM parts for left, right, and t-case for 78.00 from a friend with an auto shop (he gets big discounts) so i didnt want to pay all that much more for the bombproof ones...

my xj has the MORE poly mounts and they're nice, but i've been thinking about replacing them with the rubber ones for a while now... too many vibes.

Can you replace the poly bushings with these "autozone" rubber cheapies?

thanks

-J

I had a set of MORE mounts in a 2.5L TJ, and they vibrated like crazy! I know the 2.5L is not the most balanced engine ever made, but those things made it alot worse. They DID have the newer "torsion rubber" also. :huh:

I've had mine in for a year now and absolutely love them. the vibes dont bother me at all. just got one of m.o.r.e.'s poly tranny mounts and am waiting for some spare time to install it. should be tighter and a bit more noisey.

After tearing up three sets of stock mounts in a year with the 4.7L stroker, the MORE's have lasted over a year and still look fine. Yes they do couple the vibrations more but the benefits outweigh the alternative.

dothedew24_7 said:
what mounts are these??

M.O.R.E. bomb proof motor mounts...also check out rawbrown.com

seems like it would be more involved to change these than 2 hours- Mine has 120k ans I know I need em done- would I be able to change these on my own?- no access to a lift, just floor jacks

dothedew24_7 said:
seems like it would be more involved to change these than 2 hours- Mine has 120k ans I know I need em done- would I be able to change these on my own?- no access to a lift, just floor jacks

Floor jacks suffice.

Check jeepin.com for a writeup with pics, and I'm sure there are others.

hth

Yeah, it's not that hard with common tools. Anybody know which poly tranny mounts DON'T raise the tranny and which ones do? I feel some slop down there and want to try a poly tranny mount but don't want to raise the transmission.

The M.O.R.E. tranny mount does raise it. I had one for a while, but I switched back to stock because of the vibes. Not rolling vibes, just extra vibes making it to the cabin. If it had not been for that, I would have kept it. I did not measure, but I would say it raised it at least a half of an inch.

I've got a Daystar poly trans. mount. I think it's slightly taller than stock, also. Also had to drill new holes in my crossmember, since I have a 01 Cherokee and the Daystar mount bolts fit the 84-96 crossmember holes, guess they're in a different location. It wasn't hard though. The vibes were really minimal, and compared to all the creaking my stock mount was giving me after I installed my trans. case drop the plusses of the poly mount were well worth it for me.

Last edited:
The motor mounts or the transmission mount? Get under the vehicle even with the driver side door and look for the metal bolted on beam going across . Right in the middle of the beam on top there's a big block of rubber with metal plates on top and bottom bolted to the transmission and crossmember(the metal beam). Open your hood and look on the driver side of the engine for the best look at motor mount. Same one on passenger side . Amazing these 3 mounts are the only things holding your engine/transmission to your jeep.

I would be warry of just replacing it with a control arm bushing. I just finished putting in my new ones from Ryan and some how the bushing slide all the way out of the metal surround and the only thing holding the engien from going into the rad is the bracket it mounts into(Ryan fixed me up though). IMO gotta have some way of retaining the bushing. And you guys must be super sensitive or something. I can't even tell if mine has more vibes or not.

Back