• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modified air box

it will be interesting on how that setup works come winter

Root Moose said:

I seen this write up a few months ago and planned on doing it...but I forgot until yesterday! Today I went to the junkyard and bought two plastic ends from CJ's air intake. Then I bought 26" of the intake hose at advance. I'm probably going to be putting this all together next weekend and I'll post some pics up for you guys and let you know how it works out.

Where I wheel there is usually a lot of deep holes...and unless you go through you can't get to the rest of the trails. I think this will work great.

About a second before this pic was taken the headlights were under water...I still have the stock air box setup and the filter was pretty wet afterward.
HPIM0538.jpg

MogifiedXJ said:
Alright here's a pic of my air filter canister. I'll try to find a part number today. Eventually I'm going to run a snorkel into it...that's why I bought it in the first place because it's water tight.

P1010082.jpg

How does the centrifigal dirt trap work in the hoizontal position? All the equipment I've see nad the filter oriented vertically and the seperator at the bottom so you had gravity on your side.

Fish'nCarz said:
How does the centrifigal dirt trap work in the hoizontal position? All the equipment I've see nad the filter oriented vertically and the seperator at the bottom so you had gravity on your side.
It's got a plastic helix type thing that swirls the air towads the outside and bottom of the canister. It would proabably work better mounted vertically, but that's not really an option in the cherokees engine bay. However, it still works...to what extent I do not know, but I've poured dust out of it.

MogifiedXJ said:
It's got a plastic helix type thing that swirls the air towads the outside and bottom of the canister. It would proabably work better mounted vertically, but that's not really an option in the cherokees engine bay. However, it still works...to what extent I do not know, but I've poured dust out of it.
You should still have gravity on your side. It looks like you've got the trap pointed down on the lower corner of the housing, just out of sight on the bottom of it, right?

I run a Donaldson 15"x8" cylindrical housing in my rig and I know the dust trap still works well. I've got a rubber pipe end clamped over where the "chisel" style trap is supposed to go. I recently removed the assembly to check on the filter and found the dust trap completely packed with dust that had spun out. The filter was almost completely clean (probably would have been if I hadn't let the trap fill up...)

nhrocker said:
You should still have gravity on your side. It looks like you've got the trap pointed down on the lower corner of the housing, just out of sight on the bottom of it, right?

I run a Donaldson 15"x8" cylindrical housing in my rig and I know the dust trap still works well. I've got a rubber pipe end clamped over where the "chisel" style trap is supposed to go. I recently removed the assembly to check on the filter and found the dust trap completely packed with dust that had spun out. The filter was almost completely clean (probably would have been if I hadn't let the trap fill up...)
Yeah like I said it still works great...Now that I think of it I'm pretty sure this one was designed to be run horizontal anyway. There's a flat spot in the fender I cut a hole in for the trap to fit through and I can remove the trap cover and empty it without removing the entire canister.

MogifiedXJ said:
Yeah like I said it still works great...Now that I think of it I'm pretty sure this one was designed to be run horizontal anyway. There's a flat spot in the fender I cut a hole in for the trap to fit through and I can remove the trap cover and empty it without removing the entire canister.
I cut the same hole to try to accomplish that in mine, but my canister is just large enough that it sits up on the seam of the inner fender. Only the corner of the cap is sticking through right now. I'm going to figure out some way to extend it so I can empty it from underneath like you.

nhrocker said:
I cut the same hole to try to accomplish that in mine, but my canister is just large enough that it sits up on the seam of the inner fender. Only the corner of the cap is sticking through right now. I'm going to figure out some way to extend it so I can empty it from underneath like you.
Is that donaldson unit plastic or metal??? If it's metal just weld an extension to it.

MogifiedXJ said:
Is that donaldson unit plastic or metal??? If it's metal just weld an extension to it.
It's plastic. I'll probably just extend it with a short piece of PVC and then put the rubber cap I'm using now on the end of that.

Back