• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ--whats it worth

Question for peteM, I like your mj, how did you do the overhead console? Do you have any more pictures? Also, are those Cherokee laredo seats direct bolt ins? How do ya like em? Oh yeah, where did you get the rustoleum spray handle, is the can a standard spray paint can or is the nozzle different (i already have a plain spray handle) THanks. David

All XJs are 101", shortbed MJs are 113", longbeds are 119".
That's an aftermarket overhead shelf. I think I got it from jcw.com It's been a few years. The lower profile sunvisors were made from the guts of the stock ones. The seats are from another MJ and are very nice since my previous pair were covered in cracked vinyl. The spray can handles came from a home improvement store, Lowes I think. I'm pretty sure there isn't anything special about the can, but the design of the handle may be diffferent than yours. Rather than hijack this thread anymore and bring on the wrath from above, zip me an email or better yet, meet me over at the MJ Yahoo Club. :D All Comanche, all the time. :D
Oh, and the MJ never got the 242, but was offered with a different fulltime 'case in 86. I forget the number, NP-229 maybe?
Jeep on!
--Pete
ComancheClub.com
http://www.picturetrail.com/petermontie

that is loooooooooong, is there anyone on this board who has shortened it, I am thinking somewhere between 107" and 110". Did they just hack off the old spring mounts, move the shock mounts and be done with it? Is there a combo of d-lines that I could run that would give me the right length (I am assuming I am going to need a new d-line)

You *were* warned about how long it is. :laugh3: It is long, but that length can be an advantage depending on what terrain you like. I'm quite perplexed, so why exactly did you buy it if you're going to strip and slice it up anyway? A 2wd shortbed would have saved both time and money in the long run.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I think 107-110 with 35-40 inch tires would be ideal. The obvious problem is the bed, you can either ditch it or bob (shorten) the front. The next problem is the gas tank; mine is the smaller 16 gallon and I could probably move the rear axle forward 3-4 inches before it would possibly hit the gas tank. You could use a fuel cell or use an XJ tank behind the rear axle like XJs have them. The curve of the frame might offer some complications; If I moved my rear axle more than 10 or 12 inches forward there wouldn't be much room at all before the axle would hit the frame on compression. LIke you said, just make new spring/shackle mounts, and shock mounts, pretty straight forward if you can weld. For a driveline, a shortbed driveshaft would only get you in the 113" range, a 2wd XJ shaft might be a good length. If you're over 110w.b. you can probably go to 8 inches without an SYE, if you're 105-110 you can probably go to 6 inches, either way you'll want a YJ yoke (cheap).

Back