• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Minecraft Jeep - Build Thread

From the pics, looks as if that "band" is from the fan clutch.

The band used to wrap around the radiator core-- mine ate one too. I got lucky and heard it hitting the clutch before it exploded into a catastrophic mess (no radio= nothing to listen to except odd noises)

edit-- go out and check the driver side band clamp while you're thinking about it-- don't want it to give out once everything is put back together!

Last edited:
The band used to wrap around the radiator core-- mine ate one too. I got lucky and heard it hitting the clutch before it exploded into a catastrophic mess (no radio= nothing to listen to except odd noises)

edit-- go out and check the driver side band clamp while you're thinking about it-- don't want it to give out once everything is put back together!

Ha... Yep, that is what it is or was is this case. Looks like it was a combination of how close the fan clutch is to the radiator now and hard acceleration would cause the engine to flex forward enough to catch it.

I will just pick up a spare radiator at the junk yard to keep in case this one fully falls apart.

I am confused as the why this is a minecraft build? Maybe a Creeper paintjob? I apologize if you said why in the thread, I just skimmed through the pics...

I am confused as the why this is a minecraft build? Maybe a Creeper paintjob? I apologize if you said why in the thread, I just skimmed through the pics...

Yep, few posts above. Going to have a big Creeper face on the hood. I am torn between using Raptor to do the entire exterior or just standard spray paint.

Ha... Yep, that is what it is or was is this case. Looks like it was a combination of how close the fan clutch is to the radiator now and hard acceleration would cause the engine to flex forward enough to catch it.

I will just pick up a spare radiator at the junk yard to keep in case this one fully falls apart.

plan to change yer motor mounts-- if it's that close, they're gonna cause problems in the future.

P.S. did you check the driver side band yet?

plan to change yer motor mounts-- if it's that close, they're gonna cause problems in the future.

P.S. did you check the driver side band yet?

Driver side band is fine. Those motor mounts probably do need to be changed after 237,000 miles. If I slam on the gas hard enough I can hear the fan clutch hitting the radiator.

Transmission Mount Replacement
Q.) When should I replace my transmission mount?
A.) If the mount is visibly swelling, cracked, or is soft to the touch instead of firm.

Replacing the transmission mount should take at the most one hour to finish.

You will need:
13mm or 1/2" socket(Depends on the model year.)
18mm socket
Short ratchet extension
Ratchet
Two jacks or a jack and stand.

Instead of a long write up here is a video guide!

Great thread! Can't wait to see what happens next.

Hack and Tap SYE Tutorial

Working on the hack and tap on the NP242 transfer case I picked up for this project. I should note that I ultimately decided to not use the NP242 in the XJ. I will be swapping the NP242 into my LJ and using its NP231 in the XJ.(Doing this SYE process to both transfer cases.) The benefit of using the CV yoke is that a front drive shaft from a XJ can then be installed in the the rear.

CV Yoke shortening note: In this video I purposely gave an extra 1/4" of length to work with. This way it can be trimmed again if found to be too long once the front XJ drive shaft is installed.

Tools required
6amp+ Grinder or Rotary tool(A grinder is really recommended. They make very quick work of cutting through the output shaft. A rotary tool takes about an hour to work with.)
Cutting and grinding discs for grinder.
6amp+ Drill
3/16" drill bit for drilling the pilot hole.(Any bit about a third the size of 5/16" will work for this task.)
5/16" drill bit with NC 3/8" thread tap OR 21/64" with NF 3/8" thread tap.(I recommend NC(coarse) since grade 8 coarse bolts are easier to obtain at home stores. Just make sure it is grade 8.)
Tap handle
Permanent Marker
Ruler
Protection(Gloves, Goggles, Ear Plugs/Muffs)

Parts Required
One of these, depending what drive shaft type you go with.
*3103-27CV - CV Yoke Type(For bolting in another front drive shaft from a XJ into the rear. Also can used for custom drive shafts.)
*RE1807 - Flange Type(For custom drive shafts.)

Going to be making a drive from Alabama to Texas in the Jeep starting Wednesday. Need to finish this check list by Tuesday night! I also need to order Jon's/5-90's 4AWG kit.

Fix the rear bottom seat belt mounts.(Need to drill out welded nuts and install new bolts.)
Install new engine mounts.
Install amplifier/stereo wiring so I will not go insane on the trip.(Speakers are ready.)

Last edited:
Engine Mount Replacement
Q.) When should I replace my engine mounts?
A.) If the mount is visibly swelling, cracked, or is soft to the touch instead of firm. When grabbing the engine by the valve cover it should be difficult to rock left to right. If it gives too easily into the rocking the mounts should be replaced.

Replacing the engine mounts should take one to two hours.

You will need:
15mm socket
18mm socket
Short ratchet extension
Long ratchet extension
Ratchet
Floor Jack
Foot Pound Torque Wrench

This guide is a bit more abbreviated than others since I am in a rush to finish several repairs by Wednesday morning.

Rear Seat Belt Repair

Ultimately when needing to remove the rear carpet or rear seat belts the bolts get screwed up. Replacing the bolts is difficult as well. This is all because of the two inches of threads exposed to the outside that rust and build up with junk. My solution to getting the bolt out is to grind the exposed threads flat. Afterwards the bolt can be removed with an impact wrench or breaker bar without it getting stuck.(Then having to cut and drill the bolt out.) Afterwards drill out the hole to 1/2" and replace the bolt with a 1/2" grade 8 bolt, washers, and nut. The insertion order is bolt through washer, through belt bracket, through body, through another washer, and nut on last. This is a time to use plenty of red thread locker. Torque to 60 foot pounds. If you are even more paranoid about this repair you can always double stack the nuts. However, the 1/2" bolt is nearly double the strength of the original 3/8" bolt.

gallery_1_5_33146.jpg

gallery_1_5_430189.jpg

Back