• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Merce-Jeep photos

bajacalal said:
That is an awesome engine swap.

Thanks!

bajacalal said:
Anyway, I would like to know if you had to modify the floor or could you use the stock tranny crossmember locations and shifter and such.

Floor, firewall, and stock tranny crossmember were all very accepting of the motor and tranny. Crossmember was a inch too far forward to set the mercedes mount center, but I handled that with a piece of 3/4 square tubing to the rear lip, and I'm happy. As for the shifter, well, I'll let you know how that goes. I am still debating on the mercedes shifter, which I have, or the jeep auto shifter, which I will have to buy at a boneyard, plus fab linkage for, since the jeep uses a cable. The mercedes is a single rod linkage. For now, I literally have a screwdriver poked through the tunnel, a washer welded to the tip, and the linkage connected to the washer. The detent is so strong in teh tranny that there's no confusion for shifting P-R-N-4-3-2/1.

bajacalal said:
I am assuming 80's mbz turbodiesel w/ auto tranny.

That's exactly what it is. Well, actually it's a 78, but it has the 80's electrical harness. No real difference otherwise. If it had been an 80's or newer, though, I would have a better tranny. I have the same tranny as the 300D, or the "small tranny" as compared to later model 300SD's that have a more robust tranny. It'll do though.

-Steven

fordtech said:
actually he wont get bumpsteer, not at least how we with stock style steering are use to it. He will get a change in toe on both tires in opposite directions (mostly toe in on both sides). As his suspension moves the inner tie rods will move in an arch effectively shorten pulling the tire in toward the rack.
A traditional inverted y or drag link style is going to move the tires in the same direction (one in, one out, vice-versa), thats what causes bumpsteer. His issue would feel 'different' and will cause weird handling and steering over rough roads compaired to the traditional setup, and eventually wierd tire wear. Probably not 'felt' in the wheel as a kick, or a sudden jerk in a direction like bumpsteer.

That is exactly right, and was actually one of the considerations when deciding to go with the rack. As a matter of a fact, on my first test run, I had set the toe in ever so slightly, thinking that like everything else, the tires would naturally try to toe-out while being pushed down the road. Bad Idea! and hopefully my ONLY EVER experience with death wobble. holy crap I wasn't even IN the truck when it happened, I saw the whole thing 3rd person and and those shorts are in the trash, I assure you. when a solid axle enters into extreme toe-in scenario.... they begin to "skip" down the road, one after the other, because they are both trying to turn into one another. It got so bad that the opposite tire would leave the pavement, and this was at 35mph.

It also explains the nasty looking fab job, because alot of that gorilla weld is the bracing after the breakage after the wobble.... well you catch on..

I figured worse case scenario, there will be some odd tire wear over time, since the toe constantly changes with suspension flex, but as far as actual bumpsteer, haven't had any yet. I actually think the tires will wear very similar to the ford front ends.

fordtech said:
is that rack mounted directly to the axle?? <snip>
I wasnt taking in the axle shifting due to the trackbar. Im not sure it would move enoough to have a large effect, but if it does the effect would really cause weird changes in toe.

I tried real hard to convince myself that I could mount the rack directly to the axle. That would solve all the weirdness. However, in order to do so, I would have had to completely redesign a trackbar to give clearance for the rack, and give the truck enough lift to ensure the oil pan could not come in contact with the rack. I played with the idea for several weeks, but the final decision was no axle mounting, most especially for the amount of steering shaft telescoping that would be necessary.

As for the trackbar's effect on steering, YES, and I attribute almost all my weirdness in feeling to that. The weirdness is actually in body roll while hitting a bump. If I hit on one side, it feels normal, if I hit on the other, it feels as though it actually SHOVEs the body side to side. I'm sure the current geometry of things is to blame, and because I moved the upper mounting point for the trackbar down from the framerail to the rack cross member. It's weird, for sure.

-Steven

"Posted by fordtech:
"actually he wont get bumpsteer,"

Vee Dubb said:
That is exactly right
I assure you. when a solid axle enters into extreme toe-in scenario.... they begin to "skip" down the road, one after the other, because they are both trying to turn into one another.
It got so bad that the opposite tire would leave the pavement, and this was at 35mph.
It also explains the nasty looking fab job, because alot of that gorilla weld is the bracing after the breakage after the wobble....
I figured worse case scenario, there will be some odd tire wear over time, since the toe constantly changes with suspension flex, but as far as actual bumpsteer, haven't had any yet.
I actually think the tires will wear very similar to the ford front ends.
I tried real hard to convince myself that I could mount the rack directly to the axle.
That would solve all the weirdness.
However, in order to do so, I would have had to completely redesign a trackbar to give clearance for the rack, and give the truck enough lift to ensure the oil pan could not come in contact with the rack.
...the final decision was no axle mounting, most especially for the amount of steering shaft telescoping that would be necessary.
As for the trackbar's effect on steering, YES, and I attribute almost all my weirdness in feeling to that. The weirdness is actually in body roll while hitting a bump. If I hit on one side, it feels normal, if I hit on the other, it feels as though it actually SHOVEs the body side to side. I'm sure the current geometry of things is to blame, and because I moved the upper mounting point for the trackbar down from the framerail to the rack cross member. It's weird, for sure.

-Steven

since you're living in denial
http://128.83.80.200/taco/scarysteering.html

Wow that's pretty neat. You should totally get a merc hood ornament now.

Slip Kid said:
Wow that's pretty neat. You should totally get a merc hood ornament now.

Damn straight. You need to do something to hint at your Benz diesel under the hood. Attach the circle thingto the grille or the 300SD badge somewhere. Also, put the Mercedes shifter in, especially if its leather or wood grain embossed with the logo. Pure class...

Also whats with the clutch master cyl?

Last edited:
I have every intentions of doing something to advertise the transplant. I'm just not sure what yet.

If I can find "diesel" or "turbodiesel" that matches very closely to the comanche badges, I'll do that. Freightliner has mercedes powered vans that bear badges reading "powered by mercedes". I'm going to take a closer look at those and may very well do that. I think they are 1.5" tall x 4" long. They should look real sporty under the comanche badge. I am still very strongly considering the mercedes "turbodiesel" badge on the tailgate, either centered above the latch, or to the right like as on the mercedes trunk. If I put it there, then I might as well go ahead and get the 300D. I know that there is a M class designation for mercedes, but I cannot find a J. If I could I'd build a 300MJD (3.0L mercedes-jeep diesel) or 300DMJ (3.0L diesel mercedes-jeep).

I'm just ticked over the fact that I can say my MJ stands for Mercedes-Jeep, or MerceJeep for short. =)

AHAH! It just came to me. Duh. I'll get a license plate holder for the front bumper and find one of those chromed mercedes emblem tags. That'll do it.

Cool ride man...I say you should leave the gears alone and stuff some 35's under it...that should fix the mileage :)

Well, it doesn't matter since he posted up in another thread that Katrina did the MJ in. Apparenty salt water does a lot of damage to a 20 year old truck frame.

looking at the setup....at least the trackbar is in correct geometry with the rack, but I wouldn't have done it that way.

how I would have done it, I don't know. that's one big-arse motor that sits real low. yowzah

good thinkin outside the box though...

wow, there's less fan-rad clearance than in a 4.0! Hope your motor mounts are good

It never ceases to amaze me... anyways.
New Merce-Jeep coming soon? I've found one, but don't own it yet, still scratching my head on a few things, I'll post when I know though!

mikeNtucson said:
I'll ask a stupid question. What's the differance running a r&p and running a hydro ram? Besides the hose?

Well, the biggest difference would be the shaft running from the steering column to the r&p. The hydro setup would have to have a valve system to translate the left/right steering from the column to the ram. R&P is cross-member mounted, designed for IFS, jointed to follow the movement of the control arms, I think all hydro systems are axle mounted, for solid axles. Unless someone else can help clarify, or better explain, I think that's the jist of it!

btw, no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers, which I may have just given, so don't take anything I say to the bank!

Back