• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mean Green's 1st AutoX

a05046db1cdf95fae1b20327b216728e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is awesome can't wait to have a go with my Xj at my local autocross event in a few weeks! Do you have a LSD? or even the stock 8.25 still in your jeep? Very interested in this thing!

Those tires are 5+ year old dry bfg all-season 255/60 balloons(I sold the 18x9/9.5" setup with 285/30 Hoosiers). I believe the 3rd Auburn LSD is almost done because I can't accelerate out of the corners with one wheel lifted(27 spline Dakota 2wd 8.25). It still leaves two tracks in a straight. I have a new setup, 245/40 Dunlop Z2s on 17x9 Cobra reps, for next Sat's auto-x:
2976d4309ade487a854b3e2f334f0423.jpg
65be43a7ced116aaf142760ca5510e1f.jpg

Last edited:
Can you take a picture of the jeep with that tire setup, I have 275/55r17 zr1 corvette wheels on my jeep, I wanted to go with a lower profile tire but was worried how it would perform on all stock suspension, and even look a little goofy too lol. The tires I am using are general grabber UHP's performance truck tire, and even with the added power from the turbo it still hooks great with a launch rpm of 2600ish rpm. Also it stays pretty planted through the turns I just want to get rid of the roll it has with more advanced maneuvers. Those dunlop tires looks awesome, hope they stick well for ya your next time out!

Last edited:
Why not switch to something that wont wearout. Like a trutrac?

Looks awseome by the way. My gears always get turning when i check out threads in this section.

I'm on my 3rd one because Auburn has a reasonably priced diff exchange program(have used it 2xs already, but won't again). I did research last week on the Truetrac and have seen multiple people claim here it's like an open diff when one wheel is in the air. Skipper51: "I ran one for years on the rear 8.25 and loved its on and off road manors. The only down side I had was if a wheel off the ground it became open." My jeep is stiff with the composite leaves in the back, so the inside tire usually does lift on sharp turns(better than the body rolling).
edit: You even comment that in the thread I quoted. . .

Last edited:
My main problem with lsd is in the rocks and off road. Low wheel speed and high torque input. And thats more a general clutch based opinion of mine from experience with both and 8.25 and 8.8 on the street and offroad.

For autox and road racing, a lot of people like the truetrac. Ive only heard of one failing(that was a heavy drag application and improper installation).

Off road they require a bit more constant higher wheel speed than I think most Sierra rock crawlers are comfortable with. I dont think you will have that kind of problem in autox with higher wheel speed and torque combined with much smaller tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used the older dakota 2wd 8.25" axle due to the sua perches, 5x4.5" bolt pattern(they changed to 6-bolt), and being able to throw the 27-spline auburn in there. I'd have to source a 29-spline 8.25, perches, and the Truetrac. I'm gonna have to swap out my 96 for a rust free 97-99 2-dr, so maybe next spring. . .

I have my stroker build over on jeepstrokers.com's project section. I don't really have any threads on the various parts I've put on it over the years.

Thats awesome, I like how effortless that looked too, didn't hear any tires squealing or anything. Sweet.

The sound of tires squeezing is the sound of your lap time going down.

Gradon, I need some help. Just picked up a 4 door and want to rally cross it. Got some 16 inch icon rims with 225 M+S on them.

Need some advice on just a little lowering. Thinking about an inch?

PM coming your way.

Thanks,

Webb

Back