• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mat sensor???

Good Idea.......is there a part number for the sensor that gets moved there?

Well, I'm going to hunt up a list of possibles, then give the list to my Son so he can use the Alldata at the dealership to check resistance values. However, my bet would be that the 91-95 Wrangler would be close.

Well, I'm going to hunt up a list of possibles, then give the list to my Son so he can use the Alldata at the dealership to check resistance values. However, my bet would be that the 91-95 Wrangler would be close.
Thanks.............
For the 4.0?
They show one for the 91 2.5L
The plug would need to be changed or adapted if it would work.

Last edited:
I'd go try to find a couple at the junkyards. Also pull one from a HO engine and see if they look pretty much the same. Although the engine management changed it wasn't a complete redesign of everything and some of the stuff is interchangeable. Might get lucky.

One other thing is that the MAT is in the plenum so it will get coated with blowby or any unfiltered air that makes it into the manifold (ie vacuum leak) and the likelihood of a bad MAT gets higher every year.
The pictures that I have seen on the net show some kind of ceramic looking end that's in the manifold itself. Mine is disintegrated.

Can't get the MAT sensor...just found out a little bit ago from the dealer....none of the other auto parts places can get it either. JY will be my only option there.
No manifold leak either (none that we could tell anyways), mechanic sprayed it with something in a aerosol can to see if injectors were leaking and checked the manifold also.
The last thing i have not checked is the O2 sensor. That's next.
They list for $50 bucks here....is there any generic O2 sensors that would work?

NAPA has the MAT sensor, just bought one 6 months ago. I doubt that is your high idle problem but I would replace it since the MAT needs to read to go into closed loop. Check your grounds, bulkhead connector and make sure everything is working properly by checking with the RENIX manual and a volt/ohm meter.

Question there is, would they be compatable?

Well, the resistance numbers are very close, could be worth a shot if one can't be located in the salvage yard.

Thanks for the info..........
Where can I find the resistance numbers to the OEM sensors?
I have been on google and haven't hit the right search words yet, I guess.

Do you have the RENIX FI manual? The numbers are in there, I can't remember them right off hand. If you do not have that manual you need to get it.

Well....I'm down to two things that could be my problem. (hopefully)
MAT sensor and exhaust leak.

All grounds are good...my connections are good...fixed a bare wire to the knock sensor.

Started checking the o2 sensor, then the thing started idling all over the place before it even warmed up. Musta needed replacing anyways, so I replaced it with new....fixed that issue.

Idle creeps up as it gets warmer..... then it surges back and forth from 1000 rpm to 1250 rpm.
Holds a good 750-900 rpm in gear.

I'm leaning towards the exhaust leak but still have not pinned it down as to where. I will need to order the exhaust pipe gasket...no parts place has it.
The MAT sensor is another story. Still looking for a substitute besides a JY part.

Last edited:
So your saying I can use a coolant temp sensor in it's place?

No, well you could since they have the same resistance BUT they are a different NPT size, the MAT is 1/4" NPT and the CTS is 3/8" NPT.

But the correct answer is that NAPA has the right part listed with the wrong name. If you look at the picture, the sensor shown has the open cage with the sensor easily seen unlike the CTS which is enclosed in brass. The pictured sensor is the right one for the RENIX MAT, I'm running it right now.

Back