• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Massively loud lifters - and a cure

Ecomike said:
I used black pepper on my 78 Dodge SW back in 1981-82. It stopped the leak for 3 years with no problems. That was before I discovered the brown tablets. I switched to the tablets around 1985 or 86.
Makes the radiator smell better too :laugh2:

I haven't added antifreeze yet - I wanted to see if the coolant tank needed refilling, which would indicate I still had a leak. I also didn't want more antifreeze in the oil if it was. I definitely plan on adding a/f long before winter.

I used the hd glass seal product alone, according to directions. That means flushing the system clean, which involves popping the lower hose, which involves removing the air cleaner, etc. It's messy. I wanted to see how it worked, if it did. It apparently has. I have used a polymer sealer before - Dike from Conklin, and I know it can do the same. I was out. It's available from any Conklin dealer or Speedway. It's sealed serious head gasket leaks, and even sealed a rusted out freeze plug behind the flywheel for two years. When that starting leaking again, I found a quarter sized plug of green in the shell. The biggest piece I got out was the ring.

My lifters don't rattle now, an occasional tick at idle. I'm considering moving up to a 15-40w - but I'll wait for the 5k oil change now.

Don't wait too long to add the antifreeze. Water only has no rust or corrosion inhibitors, no water pump lubricants, and boils at 212 F (at atmospheric pressure). Antifreeze is also a cooling additive with corrosion inhibitors, water pump shaft and seal lubricant, and raises the boiling point. It also has head gasket sealant chemistry (silicate, or the new stuff), but at a lower concentration than the stuff you used.

It's on the shopping list. I have some water pump lube I should throw in, too, thanks for reminding me. I will use the universal, as the other cars here are all newer. Less to stock up on in the garage.

I plan on doing a before and after on Restore next, with compression readings. It's seriously improved an old van I want to sell :rolleyes: and I'd like to cut down on the blowby. A different subject for the future.

Back