• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Massive oil leak through intake.. not your average blow by.

As an update from me, this hasnt been an issue since i stoped towing that covered trailer.
This is what i think was causing it:
The rear CCV line from the intake to the rear of the rocker cover has a metered orfice on one end, and a rubber elbow on the other. The rubber orifice on mine was getting cracked and starting to get a little hard(even though it was super clean) so maybe i was loosing some vacuum out the sides of the thing. Also, the rubber elbow failed on me awhile back.. so being cheap i replaced it with an elbow from a old egr valve i replaced a long time ago. The rubber for this elbow was "softer" so i guess its also possible that it was collapsing... or not the right size causing the metered orfice to get thrown off as well.
As i previously stated this would only happen at 4-5000 RPMS going 75 towing that trailer. At that high of RPM's, im sure the engine vacuum was super low. Combine the low vacuum with cracks in a rubber metered orfice, and the wrong elbow... and bam there goes your oil out the front CCV tube into the intake.
I have since replaced it with a whole new kit from the dealer (the price wasnt "to" bad), and i immediatly noticed how much beefier the elbow was, and how much tighter the metered orfice fit into the valve cover.... So even though these things appeared to be ok and still functioned ok... the extreme condition i was putting my system in, was causing even the most minor things to show failure. Now everything is great though... so no worries from me!

If it does it again, try using a larger diameter orifice on the towing trips!!!

Might also try adding some Lucas to increase the oil viscosity for the trip.

Bronco said:
Ya my 87 will do that on long high speed trips. Sucks

Actually it blows!:laugh:

outlander said:
Just to clarify:A leak down test is different than a compression test.a leak down test measures how well your rings and valves are sealing.A compression test essentially does the same thing,though.

They also test for head gasket leaks. Compression test tells you if there is a cylinder to cylider compression imbalance, or leak.

A true leak down test can tell you where it is leaking!!!!! Intake valve, exhaust valve, head gasket, or rings.

Back