• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual/Automatic AWshifter

I haven't noticed any effect on mileage, positive or negative. I suppose I didn't really expect to anyway.

I've tried stopping with the TC locked, but I unlocked it when I heard the engine starting to bog down. The TC lock will hold, even when you're stopping. Don't forget to unlock it, and you can stop in any gear you want.

http://www.idec.com/Products/ENG/PDF/U907_PDFs/A_Switches/A_Switches_ARN.pdf

4 position Interlocking lever with manual return. Would work great other than having an "automatic" setting. Can the center position(all contacts open) be the automatic?

I can imagine mounting this on a plate mounted to the stock gearshift. Maybe have a seperate switch to activate the whole thing so you don't accidentally throw it in 1st going 85mph.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_002_015_006&product_id=275-601

Kingfish said:
One more thing. What about making the TC lock a button mounted to the floorboard so you have to hold it in with your left foot to be active?

Try that on a trail :laugh3:

Seriously, there are times that the trails get bumpy enough for you not to be able to hold it down. In addition, there are times when there are obstacles that require the finesse of having the left foot on the brake and the right foot on the gas.

Kingfish said:
http://www.idec.com/Products/ENG/PDF/U907_PDFs/A_Switches/A_Switches_ARN.pdf

4 position Interlocking lever with manual return. Would work great other than having an "automatic" setting. Can the center position(all contacts open) be the automatic?

I can imagine mounting this on a plate mounted to the stock gearshift. Maybe have a seperate switch to activate the whole thing so you don't accidentally throw it in 1st going 85mph.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_002_015_006&product_id=275-601
good find, any idea on pricing? I'll try to give them a call soon. Any other good options for pre-fabbed shifters have been over $100 and I'm not sure people are willing to pay that. I would make a shifter like that so that the 4 corner positions are first through fourth gear, and if you leave it in the middle (or it gets bumped out of gear) it goes to auto usage with the TCM controlling everything just like factory.

The TC lock is essentially an on/off button, if you wanted to locate it by your left foot you certainly could, or even use a momentary switch so you have to hold your foot on it. I wouldn't, but that's your decision for your usage.

hey brett how far away from having the four position stick that stays in place do you think you are? When you get that done im definitly buying one.

atx xj said:
hey brett how far away from having the four position stick that stays in place do you think you are? When you get that done im definitly buying one.
I could make one right away with the right pre-fabbed stick, but I haven't because of the price of those. If I don't find a pre-fabbed one for a good price I will eventually fabricate something myself, but right now I'm pretty busy working, and basically all of my wrenching time is going towards getting ready for the November Hammers/Johnson Valley trip.

BrettM said:
I've had more ordered in the last 2 weeks than in the whole month prior, so I had to re-order some parts. Yours should ship in about 2 weeks. Thanks.

Awesome! I understand how work can flood in. When it rains it pours!

2 Weeks sounds nice!

Two simple questions Brett that I have not found anywhere or have over looked them.

This is assuming that the AW4 is in a stock vehicle as I would install it:

1. What position does the stock shift selector have to be in? What if you switch your AW unit to 1 and the stock selector to 3(or other non-matching combos)? Do we have an explosion of meshing gears?
How about your unit in let's say 1 and the stock selector in Reverse?

EDIT:
BrettM said:
1. Yes, if you put the floor shifter into Drive, you will have use of all 4 gears with the manual shifter. If you place the floor shifter in "3" you will have use of the first 3 gears, and if you place the shifter in "2-1" you will have the use of just the first 2 gears.
I guess that answers that.

2. What effect does the Power/Comfort switch have in stock form and when used with your kit? What mode should it be kept in?

Thanks

Last edited:
I always keep mine in comfort, and shift manually when I want power.

What I don't like about keeping it in power is that the converter doesn't lock up as often. When I'm cruisin' and lettin' it shift automatically, I like my RPMS low, and leaving it in comfort mode does that for me. :greensmok

Steve88XJ said:
I always keep mine in comfort, and shift manually when I want power.

What I don't like about keeping it in power is that the converter doesn't lock up as often. When I'm cruisin' and lettin' it shift automatically, I like my RPMS low, and leaving it in comfort mode does that for me. :greensmok
I aggree On my xj I get about 18 mpg in power and 21 mpg in compfort.
I have seen that switch marked “Power" "Economy"

it would be sweet to setup something similar to this
ad1.jpg

Back