• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mall crawlers

tommyr

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm out in front of the house on the street tonite, cleaning off / warming up my XJ, which has about 6 in. of snow on it. As I move around the back of the car I see that whoever owns the nice H2 parked behind me, sometime during the day, moved it and cleared ALL the snow off the street, then put it (the H2)back. You wouldn't want your large SUV getting stuck in 6 in. of snow, now would you? These are probably going to be the first folks out there with the lawn chairs, claiming their parking spot, too.

Me? I just cleaned off the whole car and left the snow all around it, 1/2 way up the tires. :laugh3:

Last edited:
whats snow? haven't seen any since being in phoenix

I clear the glass and call it good.

Same here

I wish for snow, it means less 'tards on the road in their Fwd cars.

Doesn't always work here, nearly got hit on my way to work this morning. I was pulling up to a stop light and had my Non ABS XJ get a bit squirelly on under braking, but had it recovered and stopping straight within it's own length. I looked in my Rear view just before the light went green and noticed a late model Camry backing the front of the car off the shoulder almost next to me. I'm guessing the Camry driver must have hit that same slick spot as me, but for some odd reason, all of the driver's aids didn't help him stop that car as well as I got my Jeep stopped....

If you fail to clear the roof you will melt some of the snow. Then when you park it will re-freeze. The large sheets of ice formed will then blow off and hit other drivers at highway speeds. My mother had her windshield broken by one of these morons recently...clean your roof.

Have to clean the snow off here in Jersey. You can and will get a ticket if there is too much snow on the vehicle.

If you fail to clear the roof you will melt some of the snow. Then when you park it will re-freeze. The large sheets of ice formed will then blow off and hit other drivers at highway speeds. My mother had her windshield broken by one of these morons recently...clean your roof.

I actually saw that happen tonight... It didn't hit anyone but it sure came close to hitting me. It came off the top of a soccermoms minivan.

I actually saw that happen tonight... It didn't hit anyone but it sure came close to hitting me. It came off the top of a soccermoms minivan.

Just a quick Google reveals this:
Fatal:
3650976.jpg

I clear the glass and call it good. I wish for snow, it means less 'tards on the road in their Fwd cars.

having driven a Jeep for years, and now the VW golf for a few... for daily driving, even upto 6"+ of snow I'd take the Golf anyday of the week.

us 'tards in FWD cars do pretty well with our winter tires and weight over our drive wheels... not that we see much snow up here tho.

I do enjoy seeing the cool guys driving around with just the windows cleared off as the snow they were too lazy to clear off their hoods, roof, trunks, etc blows onto everyone elses windshields. always fun pulling onto the highway and seeing a blizzard up ahead, only to realize it's some numpty who didn't clear their car off properly.

THIS!!! It happened to me and totaled my rig out. A large sheet came off of a car heading the other direction and hit me. It caved the roof back and down by about 8".

Thumbs up for captin safe amerika. I dont drive the XJ on the highway, thats what the JK is for.

Have to clean the snow off here in Jersey. You can and will get a ticket if there is too much snow on the vehicle.

Glad I dont live there. Wouldnt want to be associated with the Jersey shore 'tards. :party:

having driven a Jeep for years, and now the VW golf for a few... for daily driving, even upto 6"+ of snow I'd take the Golf anyday of the week.

us 'tards in FWD cars do pretty well with our winter tires and weight over our drive wheels... not that we see much snow up here tho.

I do enjoy seeing the cool guys driving around with just the windows cleared off as the snow they were too lazy to clear off their hoods, roof, trunks, etc blows onto everyone elses windshields. always fun pulling onto the highway and seeing a blizzard up ahead, only to realize it's some numpty who didn't clear their car off properly.

I thought Canada was warm and tropical in the winter? :gag:

I do not drive on the highway when she is covered in snow. I know about the ice sheet deal, seen it myself. I only live 10 mins from work and the fastest I ever get up to is 35mph.

People here do not use winter tires on their Fwd cars. We have no safty insepctions and or winter inspections. Snow tires are not required and some people are too cheap to buy them. I didnt mean eveyone in the world driving a Fwd car in the snow is a 'tard just the ones that live around here.

I always like reading posts from cool guys that think they know everyone and how everyone else lives.

Last edited:
Thumbs up for captin safe amerika. I dont drive the XJ on the highway, thats what the JK is for.

Glad I dont live there. Wouldnt want to be associated with the Jersey shore 'tards. :party:

I thought Canada was warm and tropical in the winter? :gag:

I do not drive on the highway when she is covered in snow. I know about the ice sheet deal, seen it myself. I only live 10 mins from work and the fastest I ever get up to is 35mph.

People here do not use winter tires on their Fwd cars. We have no safty insepctions and or winter inspections. Snow tires are not required and some people are too cheap to buy them. ... I always like reading posts from cool guys that think they know everyone and how everyone else lives.
THIS ^^^ post is easily the dumbest post I have ever read on NAXJA, and no surprise it's someone making excuses for their stupidity. And quick to call others names because they made a suggestion in the interest of safety. Because everyone knows how/when/where you use your XJ when you make an irresponsible post like "I clear the glass and call it good". You should simply step away from the keyboard now before you hurt yourself.

(Guess I just made another enemy. :bawl:) sheesh

I only live 10 mins from work and the fastest I ever get up to is 35mph.

I was only going ~30 when I got hit. The other car was going ~30 the opposite direction. Do the math. That's an impact of ~60mph.

The other car had just pulled out of their neighborhood onto a major street. 10 minutes and 35mph is more than enough time/speed to cause somebody else some serious problems! Don't be a douche. Clean your vehicle off.

THIS ^^^ post is easily the dumbest post I have ever read on NAXJA, and no surprise it's someone making excuses for their stupidity. And quick to call others names because they made a suggestion in the interest of safety. Because everyone knows how/when/where you use your XJ when you make an irresponsible post like "I clear the glass and call it good". You should simply step away from the keyboard now before you hurt yourself.

(Guess I just made another enemy. :bawl:) sheesh

Don't get ahead of yourself now. I don't worry about the interweb bashing, to me its all in good fun. I do not have to make an excuse I was merly explaining my position because it was clearly misinterpreted.

My first post was in regards to the OP, try reading that one first next time. Everyone after that was attacking my statement as if I was some big road hazard out there to kill and injure others. There for by your conclusion everyone's post after mine is stupid because they assumed to know what I was talking about.

We get about and inch or two of snow, not three feet like Canada or some US states. Yes I can get away with clearing the glass and calling it good. Not everyone can and never did I say they should. There is no huge ice sheet on my roof and there never will be. No I don't drive down the highway with feet of snow covering the XJ. Its people like you who are quick to judge.

Maybe you should step away from the keyboard because it looks like you came in here to start a :lecture:. Thats what non-stupid people calling starting a fight but you wouldnt know that would you?

Everyone's situation is different and I never said I knew yours. Why is it you think you know mine? You people need to get over yourselves. So high and mighty cuz you hide behind a computer.

X2. If you go on the highway or travel at any significant speed, clean that crap off.

My windshield, winter 08/09:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1005775

It hit my hood and windshield so hard it bent the linkages to the wiper arms and cracked some of the bushings.

I was only going ~30 when I got hit. The other car was going ~30 the opposite direction. Do the math. That's an impact of ~60mph.

The other car had just pulled out of their neighborhood onto a major street. 10 minutes and 35mph is more than enough time/speed to cause somebody else some serious problems! Don't be a douche. Clean your vehicle off.

Speed limit is 35mph, so in bad weather we drive less then that. Time for you to get off your :soapbox:. We get the point already, you know everything and we should bow before you.

you know everything and we should bow before you.

But your approach is, of course, the correct one. :rolleyes:

Back on track: with the exception of last year's snowpocalypse, we get mild snow here - maybe up to a foot if it hasn't warmed up enough to melt the last couple of falls. What I've noticed is that people just can't be bothered to clean the snow off of their cars more than is necessary to see out of the driver's side of the windscreen; keeping back at least 150' to avoid a whiteout or chunks of ice is pretty much mandatory.

The most fun is when the pickup drivers just drop the tailgate to blow it out on the Interstate - I mean, I get that nobody wants to shovel out the back of the truck in addition to their walk or driveway, but c'mon. That's just inconsiderate.

Don't get ahead of yourself now. I don't worry about the interweb bashing, to me its all in good fun. I do not have to make an excuse I was merly explaining my position because it was clearly misinterpreted.

My first post was in regards to the OP, try reading that one first next time. Everyone after that was attacking my statement as if I was some big road hazard out there to kill and injure others. ...
We get about and inch or two of snow ... There is no huge ice sheet on my roof and there never will be. ... people like you who are quick to judge.

... You people need to get over yourselves. So high and mighty cuz you hide behind a computer.
Doesn't make you any less silly. No one is judging you. We're responding directly to your post. Everyone knows you were responding to the OP. It was still an irresponsible post, still the wrong thing to do/say. 2" of ice on your roof is a 2x whatever projectile that can do a lot of harm. Even if it doesn't hit/hurt someone, just seeing it coming at you can cause a motorist to panic & cause an accident.

Stop blowing smoke as cover ... seems everyone here is wrong but you. Admit you made a mistake, clean the roof & move on.

psst ... anyone who knows me knows I don't hide behind anything. I say what I think and deal with the consequences.
Because I'm an adult.

But your approach is, of course, the correct one. :rolleyes:

Never said it was. It works here, might not work for you but it does for my area.

It was everyone else saying I was wrong without knowing any specifics. Did I make a quick post in regards to the OP? Yes. Was it made in good fun as the original post was? Yes. This thread did not start off as a clean the snow off or else _____ could happen. It was later the bashing came into effect with no regard to the tread topic. There for every post about snow removal for safety is off topic.

Doesn't make you any less silly. No one is judging you. We're responding directly to your post. Everyone knows you were responding to the OP. It was still an irresponsible post, still the wrong thing to do/say. 2" of ice on your roof is a 2x whatever projectile that can do a lot of harm. Even if it doesn't hit/hurt someone, just seeing it coming at you can cause a motorist to panic & cause an accident.

Stop blowing smoke as cover ... seems everyone here is wrong but you. Admit you made a mistake, clean the roof & move on.

psst ... anyone who knows me knows I don't hide behind anything. I say what I think and deal with the consequences.
Because I'm an adult.

Smoke works as excellent cover, learned that in the sand box.

Here is the back track you so desperately want. Yes, I clean the roof off if needed. Yes, it is not wise to leave a huge pile of snow on any vehicle and go driving. Did I miss anything?

My intention was poking fun as was the OP.
Next time I will be more clear. Can we get over Hasta?

Never said it was. It works here, might not work for you but it does for my area.

It was everyone else saying I was wrong without knowing any specifics. Did I make a quick post in regards to the OP? Yes. Was it made in good fun as the original post was? Yes. This thread did not start off as a clean the snow off or else _____ could happen. It was later the bashing came into effect with no regard to the tread topic. There for every post about snow removal for safety is off topic.

Smoke works as excellent cover, learned that in the sand box.

Here is the back track you so desperately want. Yes, I clean the roof off if needed. Yes, it is not wise to leave a huge pile of snow on any vehicle and go driving. Did I miss anything?

My intention was poking fun as was the OP.
Next time I will be more clear. Can we get over Hasta?
You're the one who sees fit to respond to everyone and call names. When you were in the sandbox, did you also learn to pick your fights? Not all are worth continuing.

Back