• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Major exhaust issues.

JoJoDaKilla

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so my whole exhaust system needs replaced. I have the ticking from the exhaust manifold gasket, I smell fumes in the vehicle and feel like I might just kill myself and all gaskets in the system are messed up with a bad muffler and I have nooo cat. So basically I'm asking is there a whole exhaust system out there I can get, now I live in Tennessee with no emissions, so sorry for the tree huggers I don't want to replace my cat. Then again I might need one because my vehicle idles different each time when it's in park. It's a 1990 so I don't know if that was different for that year. Could I buy headers and will that get rid of the exhaust manifold and I can have the new gasket installed. Sorry I'm rambling trying to figure out the best way to redo my whole exhaust without my cats.

you can buy pretty much the whole exhaust system from rockauto.com. just get the replacement manifold or a header, the headpipe, and a cat-back system. then put it together and figure out how much pipe you need to finish it with out the cat. you canget the pipe and clamps from your local parts store. shaggybob got the headpipe from rockauto and was really pleased with it. it was mandrel bent and didn't have those stupid kinks the factory pipe has. good luck.

you can buy pretty much the whole exhaust system from rockauto.com. just get the replacement manifold or a header, the headpipe, and a cat-back system. then put it together and figure out how much pipe you need to finish it with out the cat. you canget the pipe and clamps from your local parts store. shaggybob got the headpipe from rockauto and was really pleased with it. it was mandrel bent and didn't have those stupid kinks the factory pipe has. good luck.

:twak: Put the catalytic converter back in. It's a federally mandated law.

Yes, an exhaust header will replace your manifold. For a renix you will need to get one that either has the egr stuff already there, or have them welded in. The only way legally to run without a cat is if it is strictly an offroad vehicle. Otherwise you NEED one, You can get one for about 40$, and then I would say pick up the dynomax cat-back from jegs or summit it has a 75$ rebate.

Why would you not use a cat considering how cheap they are compared to the rest of the exhaust system. You know those fumes you smell? Everyone you drive by on the road smells them to and gets the negative health effects. One of the things a cat does is reduce carbon monoxide

If you have any common decency, put in a cat with the rest of the new exhaust system. It pisses me off when I'm behind some catless rice rocket and have to get away from him and roll down my windows to get rid of the fumes.

And BTW, the fumes CAN kill you and even if they don't kill you WILL cause brain damage. Make sure you stay ventilated with open windows.

Last edited:
The answer for not wanting a cat is that it does improve the performance if taken out properly. They do sell High Flow catalytic converters that will also improve performance without destroying environment and the noxious fumes. That would be my suggestion. My cat failed on my sports car and i just took it out but when i lost my cat on the jeep in a mud hole I decided i wanted to replace it. its up to you and how much you care. Also I have no idea about emmision laws in your state but you can get aound them with aood O2 simulator pulling the sensor futher away from the exhaust causing it to read lower emissions, that only tricks the comp though not the sniffer.

Last edited:
The answer for not wanting a cat is that it does improve the performance if taken out properly. They do sell High Flow catalytic converters that will also improve performance without destroying environment and the noxious fumes. That would be my suggestion. My cat failed on my sports car and i just took it out but when i lost my cat on the jeep in a mud hole I decided i wanted to replace it. its up to you and how much you care. Also I have no idea about emmision laws in your state but you can get aound them with aood O2 simulator pulling the sensor futher away from the exhaust causing it to read lower emissions, that only tricks the comp though not the sniffer.

there is no downstream 02 sensor on a 1990, which the OP was asking about.

Shelby love on here took his cat of his track car and got a whole extra .001 in the quarter. There is no performance gain from no cat. Put it back on.

The performance gain is nonexistent.

My reason (aside from the illegality of removing the cat, we've been over this approximately five bazillion times) is the massive headache I got from being stuck behind some catless riced mazda on my way back from Rausch Creek last time I went. Nothing like breathing gas fumes for 2 hours in a traffic jam... :smsoap:

Okay so my whole exhaust system needs replaced. I have the ticking from the exhaust manifold gasket, I smell fumes in the vehicle and feel like I might just kill myself and all gaskets in the system are messed up with a bad muffler and I have nooo cat. So basically I'm asking is there a whole exhaust system out there I can get, now I live in Tennessee with no emissions, so sorry for the tree huggers I don't want to replace my cat. Then again I might need one because my vehicle idles different each time when it's in park. It's a 1990 so I don't know if that was different for that year. Could I buy headers and will that get rid of the exhaust manifold and I can have the new gasket installed. Sorry I'm rambling trying to figure out the best way to redo my whole exhaust without my cats.

Nominated. Better put your flame suit on man!

No i have never dyno'd a jeep with out it but generally speaking that is the reason people want to take them off as well as not wanting to buy a new one. Like i said i replaced the cat on my jeep after removing a defective one from a former car.

Back