• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low oil pressure + oil leak!!

airman401

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting frustrated with my oil leak. It's getting hard to afford.

I have done my rear main, pan gasket and filter adaptor and I'm still getting drips from the front and back of the pan.

It's probably related but my oil pressure idles hot and drives at 10psi. Is this normal?

danehu4y.jpg

Last edited:
Greets; How clean, overall, is your engine's exterior? Why I ask is because leaks can be difficult to identify due to wind speed migrating oil to places that do not actually indicate the source.

If your engine is clean, then the oil leak up front of the engine is probably your front engine oil seal which will require removing the vibration damper pulley, (follow manual instructions, and with proper tool), in order to replace seal. It is possible that your rear engine seal is not properly 'seated'. I have yet to change my rear seal, so can give no specifics as to proper method. On the older 258 cu. in. split seal, it was required to use soap, oil, and rtv on three different faces of the upper split seal. Don't know if that is required on the 4.0.., but I rather doubt it as it is such a so-called improved engine design. Others will chime in, hopefully.

Your front seal leak, under fan, and actual forward movement can cause oil, (wind driven), to slide all the way back, and even 'uphill' into the rear main seal area. So, without further knowledge, I can only speculate.

Since the oil filter mount issue has been dis-ed, it could be too, that the rear end of your valve cover is loose, or the gasket is compromised there, and allowing oil to slide down the rear end of your engine to make it appear that you have a rear engine main seal leak.

I would suggest that you also indicate more information at the bottom of your posts, i.e., the area I believe is called the 'signature area'.., I could be wrong about that, but notice that most do so in order to provide; year, model, engine, transmission, lift, mileage, etc., so as to prevent forum members, and users from constantly asking 'what do you have?', in order to not have to go into long diatribes trying to figure out such problems in a forthwith manner, i.e., for all I know you have a 4 cylinder, V6, auto, etc., etc., etc.

The low oil pressure reading might not be accurate, as others in the forum have mentioned the rather unreliable gauges, but if the gauge needle sweep maintains a certain 'allowable range', then it's ok. However, your reading seems to be just to damned low. A real portable gauge to check the actual reading of your oil pressure seems to be the next item on the list. Running hot at idle does not appear normal to me. Could require an oil pump replacement, or it's sump screen is clogged-up.., did you check when you had the oil pan removed? Others who have more experience will probably chime in.

Have you had this vehicle for awhile, or is it new to you? Anyway, I hope to learn more as I watch your problem being solved. Happy Trails.

My 98 with original oil pump and 140K, at a hot idle, runs ~13 lbs oil pressure. By 1200 RPM or so I get 40 or 50 psi.
Put a mechanical gauge on to verify your pressures. If they really are that low, try a new oil pump.
On the leak...
Get a small mirror from the parts store & look around the back of the valve cover.
If you do the valve cover - replace the PCV orifices too. Bad PCV system = high internal pressure = oil leaks.

Both symptoms could be related to a bad oil pressure sender. They're known to leak and when they do, they can put out wonky readings.

Back