• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low oil pressure

Jeepmedic46

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 4.0 in my 2000 Cherokee has low oil pressure. Mechanics say it’s due to oil leaks in the valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket. Also where the oil filter goes is leaking. Could these issues really cause low oil pressure? Unfortunately due to a work related accident I can’t do this work myself.

The valve cover and oil pan gaskets "do not" the effect oil pressure and it would have to be a large leak at the oil filter to cause a problem!

What are your current oil pressures? After that I would start with a fresh oil/filter change with a new Mopar sensor. After that it can get ugly!

First, you need to quit going to those mechanics. Find someone who understands oil galleries and where they run in the engine block.

As RCP said, the only one of those listed reasons that could make any difference would be the oil filter adapter and it would have to be a leak which was a constant stream. Now, if you do have a constant stream of oil (and by constant stream that means with some pressure when the engine is running) then you most definitely need to take care of that ASAP. I rather doubt you have that situation though. The oil consumption, the cloud of smoke while driving and the puddles wherever you parked would have already driven you to the point that you knew you needed to fix that problem.

Follow RCP's advice.

If you still have any doubt as to the accuracy of the oil pressure then you can "T" in a mechanical gauge and compare readings.

If you still have low oil pressure you are probably looking at bearings.

What are your current oil pressures? After that I would start with a fresh oil/filter change with a new Mopar sensor. After that it can get ugly!

Oil pressure at idle is 20 and under load goes to 40-50. Had my last oil change done at the dealership.

First, you need to quit going to those mechanics. Find someone who understands oil galleries and where they run in the engine block.

As RCP said, the only one of those listed reasons that could make any difference would be the oil filter adapter and it would have to be a leak which was a constant stream. Now, if you do have a constant stream of oil (and by constant stream that means with some pressure when the engine is running) then you most definitely need to take care of that ASAP. I rather doubt you have that situation though. The oil consumption, the cloud of smoke while driving and the puddles wherever you parked would have already driven you to the point that you knew you needed to fix that problem.

Follow RCP's advice.

If you still have any doubt as to the accuracy of the oil pressure then you can "T" in a mechanical gauge and compare readings.

If you still have low oil pressure you are probably looking at bearings.

Jeep isn’t burning any oil and not leaving any puddles anywhere. Stupid question bearings would mean a new head?

Last edited:
BTW, that knock on start-up is probably lifters/valve train. It is very typical of XJs at this point in their lives. It is not a real problem. You could very well have another 100,000 miles of life in that motor.

knock is normal
your pressure isn't low
oil pressure sending unit went on my 98 within a month of buying it. super easy fix, but wait till your current one goes out. doesn't seem like its going out.

learn to work on your jeep. until then, find someone you trust who knows their way around them.

Back