• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lotsa questions for lotsa fixes

I'm sure you'll be very happy with a new chain. The inside of the cover is just stained from years of being soaked in oil. Clean it as best you can and call it good. Cover the gap between the block and the oil pan, scrape off the old gasket, wipe everything down with a rag and a little solvent. Wipe again with a dry rag and call it good. Just make sure you get all the lint off. A shop-vac should help there.

Didn't know Mopar made a tool for this. But from what you describe, it sounds like you would leave the bolts on the timing cover LOOSE, install the harmonic balancer, THEN tighten the bolts slightly. Remove HB, then do the final tightening with a torque wrench. The idea is that if there is any slop in the bolt holes, this procedure will help center the opening with the front crank seal to the HB thus avoiding having the seal off-center. I didn't do that, I simply bolted/torqued the cover on then installed the HB. So far no leaks...(Knocks on wood)...

Also, don't know if this was covered already, but if you are removing any oil pan bolts you will need a torque wrench in inch-pounds. I bought a cheap one from Harbor Freight as I will probably never use it for anything ever again.

Back