• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loose tie rod end on pitman arm

98XJROKS said:
Yes...If we are going to spend $150 to convert to the Moog ZJ V8 style TRE's, drag link and steering arm. Then is that a large enough advantage in order to justify not spending the extra $100-$120 to sport the JCROffroad 1-ton steering. (tech it's a chevy 1/2-3/4 TRE with 7/8 thread)

What are the pro's and the con's of each?

Besides the reaming that is required for the 1-ton stuff
I have never had the one ton setup BUT I have wheeled the snot out of my ZJ setup and havent had anything go wrong as of yet. It even took a few good shots to the tie rod in JV and didnt bend or break just a few scratches

dzraces said:
I have never had the one ton setup BUT I have wheeled the snot out of my ZJ setup and havent had anything go wrong as of yet. It even took a few good shots to the tie rod in JV and didnt bend or break just a few scratches

The ZJ TRE's have the same taper as the XJ too don't they? And how beefy are they? Any pics on how your final mod looks?

Did you use the whole replacement steering to for a simple swap?

If so, that would be a worth while consideration!

So is it just the tie rod and tie rod ends? What about the drag link? for the pitman arm, Is there a high angle tre like the 2027L which has a really high degree of anlge for full drop?

dzraces said:
you change the tie rod drag link adjuster sleves and ends the whole thing. its really easy and works without modifing the pitman arm and knuckels, you can even use the stock stabilizer

Any pictures and or part numbers ro complete this change over???
The web page from STU is only the tie rod and tre. I'm looking to do the whole thing if I do it..

Sorry to bring this thread alive again , but I have question you fella may be able to help me on. I have stock pitman and I can not for the life of me get the TRE on it to come off. Any ideas or know how would be appreciated.
Thanks !

Got it with an air hammer, Thanks Anyway !

Last edited:
Did you try a two jaw gear puller?

Since this thread has been revived I'm going to run the zj v-8 steering but I'm thinking of doing a tie rod flip aswell.What do I need to do this...just the flip inserts?
Does the zj set up operate at the same angle as the stock xj steering or can I run it with 5.5" of lift without problems?Or should I do the tie rod flip also?Do I retain my stock pitman arm?
Thanks

Last edited:
Back