• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to pick up a 97 XJ 4x4 aw4...tips

burkemotorcross

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at picking up another jeep for a dd/beach/fishing vehicle. Its a 1997 XJ with 175,000 miles, 4.0, Auto, 4wd(Command trac), 4 door, for 2500 dollars(is this a reasonable price?). Guy says A/C fan isnt blowing? is that a relatively easy fix? What should i check when i go look at it in particular?

Thanks

Decent price. I'd definately do a complete tuneup service on it- especially all the fluids. (oil, trans [Dex3], diffs, maybe power steering, tcase (ATF), coolant). Coolant especially. My father's 98 w/ 120K just starting having overheating issues. Turned out the coolant had been in there for so long that it completely corroded half the impeller fins of the water pump and the entire system was caked with buildup

EDIT: My bad I misread and thought you already purchased it.

Not sure if you have to deal with any rust down there, that's a great plus if you don't. Get underthere and check for any hints of an accident like tweaked unibody rails , it'll save you headache later if you ever decide to go aftermarket bumpers or anything. Turned out mine was in an accident and my one bumper mount isnt pretty

Last edited:
I'd recommending training and stretching a lot before attempting to pick up this Jeep, or really any vehicle.

I'd recommending training and stretching a lot before attempting to pick up this Jeep, or really any vehicle.

:roflmao: Nice!

From what i have heard the electrical on 97's is a little funky but from owning 2 97's the only electrical problems I had were the power windows on the first 97. My current 97 has manual windows and locks which are not nearly as big of a PITA as power ones. 97 is a transitional year but they did a fairly decent job on them from the factory unlike the 07 JK's! One thing i noticed on mine was the fact that some of the bulb sockets were like the 96- models. After 97 I think they got rid of all of that nonsense.

Looking to pick up a 97 XJ 4x4 aw4...tips

And don't forget to bend at the knees...

Back